Hydrogen peroxide for sterilisation in DWC

MrGreenfinga

Anyone got a idea how well hydrogen peroxide works for curing root rot and killing pathogens?

It works well

Used mostly as prevention,if it's full blown bud rot it won't remove it from  buds xd

Edited by Herbal Kint
  • Haha 1

yes but it will also kill off any beneficials too 

So I use Micorrhizae in the mix to eat that stuff instead - there's loads of them to choose from on the shelves so I'm sure there's a cheaper option but I've had success killing off root rot in dwc with great white 

Its not as expensive as it looks at first glance as you don't need to dose the whole system and it will grow with the roots so a little can go a long way. I mix up a litre or 2 and squirt it over the pebbles and over the top of the roots in the bucket every few weeks to keep the colony topped up and ready to multiply when needed 

pythoff works, silver bullet works and bleach, very mildly diluted works,,,,,,to an extent.....but it damage limitation because it will be in the hydroten etc too and ive never been able to completely kill everything previously to be perfectly honest, and i doubt many others have.

i had the best results with bleach, about 4-5 drops in 20 litres, dunk the entire net pot in it, then rinse roots with chlorinated tap water. , clean out all system, flush with bleach, flush with water then fill again and reset ph and ec.

its almost impossible if im honest but this should get you over the finiish line, if its not too bad.

dont over do the bleach or youll kill them, stone dead

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the plant is in early stages of flower it's probably best to cut your losses and start again.

Otherwise follow what @badbillybob says to get it over the line.

Why do you think you got root rot in the first place?

• Like 1

Works wonders if you follow the dilution rates , I’ve tried silver bullet which is great but ,  its slightly over 9 times the price of H2O2 for the same effect , I use 12% food  grade , H2O2 is the best option in my humble opinion , it can also be used as a preventative in lower doses, obviously it makes it a sterile system . So bio stuff is wiped out as well , it must be stored correctly to prolong its shelf life . Research dilution rates if you use it, and only buy food grade ,it has a shorter shelf life as there are no stabilisers added ,stabilisers not healthy for you or your girls . 

And as the stuff works in your tank it releases more oxygen , what’s not to like ?
peroxide is also good for sterilising your kit and grow area , it leaves no residue or chemical smells . 
hope this helps ?

you could try an aquarium UV steriliser light if your tank is remote .

Edited by Indica is the way
Forgot to say

On 21/01/2024 at 23:44, stu914 said:

If the plant is in early stages of flower it's probably best to cut your losses and start again.

Otherwise follow what @badbillybob says to get it over the line.

Why do you think you got root rot in the first place?

Im pretty sure now my roots got a darker colour and my plant got herself some small brown spots

Tangled roots

my tank have been too hot and i think thats the main problem 

i cant figure out how to keep it a steady temperature and i cant afford a water chiller right now 

my main problem is that i can either keep the water very cold by putting ice bottles in it or keep it too hot by not doing anything

if anyone has some advice i would love to take it

for now i just emptied the resivoir scrubbed it with h2o2

filled a new batch of RO water in gave it 2ml/L of 11,9% h2o2 

and a EC of 700 

ph5,8

plan was to change it again in 2 days

keep doing so until shes better

9 hours ago, Indica is the way said:

Works wonders if you follow the dilution rates , I’ve tried silver bullet which is great but ,  its slightly over 9 times the price of H2O2 for the same effect , I use 12% food  grade , H2O2 is the best option in my humble opinion , it can also be used as a preventative in lower doses, obviously it makes it a sterile system . So bio stuff is wiped out as well , it must be stored correctly to prolong its shelf life . Research dilution rates if you use it, and only buy food grade ,it has a shorter shelf life as there are no stabilisers added ,stabilisers not healthy for you or your girls . 

And as the stuff works in your tank it releases more oxygen , what’s not to like ?
peroxide is also good for sterilising your kit and grow area , it leaves no residue or chemical smells . 
hope this helps ?

you could try an aquarium UV steriliser light if your tank is remote .

Thanks alot for your reply 

Im going to add 1 ml/L of 11,9% h2o2 

everyday as its labled on the bottle 

my main problem right now its just temperature cant seem to get a hold of its always too cold or too hot

my roots got all discolourd and tangled 

really sucks my plant stopped growing too really hope she will do better

8 minutes ago, MrGreenfinga said:

my tank have been too hot

This is one of the main problems with DWC which is why I developed the system I use where the

roots are never submerged in nutes. Without a chiller you will struggle, especially in summer.

1 minute ago, stu914 said:

This is one of the main problems with DWC which is why I developed the system I use where the

roots are never submerged in nutes. Without a chiller you will struggle, especially in summer.

Its Winter and my windows are open 

summer is going to be a living hell if i dont invest in one😰

The whole idea of my starting dwc was the little maintenance 😂

• Like 2

Have you got a water pump in your reservoir/tank , this could be taking your water temps up ? 

• Like 1

Water pumps certainly raise the res temps, another problem is the room temp.

If you're room/tent is in the mid to high 20's the res will rise to a couple of degrees below that.

• Like 2

Smell your roots, healthy roots should smell like freshly cut potatoes, are you using any dark tinted feed that could stain your roots , have you got an air pump , is the air pump man enough for the job ? Low oxygen saturation in the water is the enemy , heat stops water holding oxygen and a weak air pump or blocked air stones make it worse .

• Like 1

if you cant afford a chiller my only suggestion which ive done and works, to a degree is to get a sheet of celotex or kingspen and cut it to the size of your tent, then cut out holes where the stem goes thru. this will reflect a lot of the heat from the lights back upwards, and reduce res temps

• Like 1