Are airstones needed in wilma system??

Twiki

Afternoon all,

Just after a bit if advice? First time of growing hydro and not doing too bad.

I have a wilma system with a constant pump going in the res, do I need to put airstones in too? There is a slight build up of film on top of the water, not sure if this is normal or not? But in a previous post of mine someone mentioned to just put a pump in, as airstones can mess with the pH a bit?

So was wondering if any experienced wilma users could give me some input as to what they use or is needed?

Thanks in advance...

Twiki.

Edited by Twiki

I have an air stone in mine, don’t see why you wouldn’t as it’s more a positive than anything else? I notice my ph jumps up slightly after the first day of mixing everything. Don’t know if that’s due to the air pump. I simply just make sure it’s not starting at the top end of the ph scale.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i dont use them in wilmas. id be more concerned about the film on the top of the water. check your nutes and look for any organic ingredients. that will be the cause.

i dont airstone as the pump should poduce plenty dissolved oxygen in there to keep the bad shit at bay, and airstone will cause ph issues in such a small res.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hiya,i just wanna start growing in wilma system too and after lot of reading i think this is stuff or something like this the best for circulation:hygger Wave Maker for Aquarium,Aquarium Wave Maker Pump,360° Rotating Powerhead Aquarium Circulation Pump,6W 5000LPH Ultra-silence Fish Tank Wave Maker with Strong Magnet Suction Base for 60-397L Tank

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stummer said:

I have an air stone in mine, don’t see why you wouldn’t as it’s more a positive than anything else? I notice my ph jumps up slightly after the first day of mixing everything. Don’t know if that’s due to the air pump. I simply just make sure it’s not starting at the top end of the ph scale.

Cheers Stummer

6 hours ago, badbillybob said:

i dont use them in wilmas. id be more concerned about the film on the top of the water. check your nutes and look for any organic ingredients. that will be the cause.

i dont airstone as the pump should poduce plenty dissolved oxygen in there to keep the bad shit at bay, and airstone will cause ph issues in such a small res.

I think it was the ph down, biobizz is organic stuff, have now changed to growth technology,  so hopefully no film now. Will see how it goes and leave the airstines then.

Thanks badbillybob

• Like 3

Your better off with a circulation pump in a hydro system over a air stone as ph can fluctuate more with a air stone .

• Like 2