Great Plants that lack that smell

DanWorther

Hi All;

I've been growing for a while, I typically get big harvests of nice big buds, sticky with trichomes so thick they look like powdered sugar, but the smoke has little smell or taste.  What taste and smell there is is good, but there's just not much of it.  Lately I've been growing hydroponic using GH nutrients and clay peddles for medium, I've used rockwool in the past.  I've also grown in soil using FoxFarm.  I've grown under HIDs and more recently LEDs, which have helped to keep the grow room cool, despite a high temp of 65 still no joy.  I've tried lots of different cures, rendering weed that ranged from green to brown at the end depending on the cure, all have failed to give me that great smell and taste I crave.   I've grown Cinderella, Big Bud, White Widow, Jack Herer and most recently Jack Herer & Skunk, all rendered a great buzz, but no stankey.  I typically harvest when the trichomes start to turn yellow, should I wait?  I read somewhere waiting makes the weed more couch locky, which I don't want.  

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm running out of ideas!

Thanks

Dan

Does it smell stronger before you chop it? Drying/curing technique can make a huge difference to the end products smell and taste. if they smell good before chop and don't once dry then there's something now right. 

Failing that if they don't smell nice before chop I would think it might be down to choice of genetics, what breeders have those strains come from? 

E2A 65°F is incredibly cold for your highest temperature. That's below what your lowest temperature should be. You want to be sitting  at 77-84 ideally. 

Edited by MindSoup

I’ve grown cardboard weed but had honkers from the same space. Genetics, temp, humidity and feed can ruin flavours and smells. 

Its a bit like the old Bruce Lee fearing a man who’s practised one kick 10,000 times. Ideally to get the best from a plant you need to rinse and repeat to really get the best out of them. But that’s not exciting is it. 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

My plants have minimal smell even before harvest.

I have tried seeds from multiple breeders, and as mentioned before a few different strains.

Milkeydonught, what did you mean by "Ideally to get the best from a plant you need to rinse and repeat to really get the best out of them."?

Thanks

So it's definitely not your drying technique then.

TBH probably the majority of seeds available are pretty mediocre, so you could easily try 10 strains from 10 breeders and still not find anything that good. 

One strain I've recommended to lots of people and always puts out good yields of stinky sticky buds is Real Gorilla Seeds Lemon Drizzle. If you grow that and it has no smell you can definitely write off genetics as the issue. 

I don't really have any knowledge on what other things might be causing it. Crazy high temperatures? 

Edited by MindSoup

I read somewhere here the guano bat liquid good taste and smell improver maybe it help:bong:

1 hour ago, DanWorther said:

Milkeydonught, what did you mean by "Ideally to get the best from a plant you need to rinse and repeat to really get the best out of them."?

Pretty sure he means that to get the best out of a plant you need to run the same cut repeatedly so you can learn how to get the best from her

• Like 2