Bubble Hash time... washing machine workflow?

rememberingnever

Hi all,

Just got my hands on a 5 bag set of bubble bags, a foldable poxy little washing machine and a 5 gal bucket :D. Been a while since I made some cowboy bubble. Now when I was ordering all of this I seem to remember reading a thread (possibly a rosin thread) on a workflow (maybe The Villain or Shumroom perhaps posted it). I'm probably not rosin pressing this batch but I'm pretty much ready to go. Just need to remember how exactly to utilise the washing machine best. Do I let it stir for a good 10 minutes? I seem to remember someone using a 220 micron "workbag" with a zipper that they housed the trim in for the wash but I left it in my basket and didn't press fire on that. So how would you start?

Throw it all in the machine after letting water sit in the ice for a while to chill down then just let it spin? (Basket in or basket out?)... probably out as it'll end up jumping around no doubt :D.

Then just pour the water through the multitude of screens with the finest at the bottom?

I also need to let it dry as my last attempt years ago went bad pretty quick once the moisture took hold! I see some people crumbling the bubble hash up to allow it to dry?

All experience welcome before I throw this in tonight :D.

Well that was a fucking mare :D.

Bucket slightly too big to fit the bags easily so a PITA from the get go. Pipe came off the washing machine on the second lot of trim so that went tits up. First run was mainly 25 micron stuff. 2nd lot that went wrong was more mid grade but probably hadn't had chance to get through the bags after some manual agitation. Tastes lovely though off the spoon. Also very difficult to gather from the bottom of the bags, much wasted/trapped, not sure there's a better way to try recover it.

Now i'm left with a few grades on the "pressing screen", most of which i'm sure will end up stuck on the screen.... what to do now :D. Should I throw in the freezer?

Edited by rememberingnever

57 minutes ago, rememberingnever said:

Bucket slightly too big to fit the bags easily so a PITA from the get go. Pipe came off the washing machine on the second lot of trim so that went tits up

You need to either use 20l buckets or US 5gallon bucket. 

Search for Meguiar's car washing bucket. 

I had exactly the same problem with the hose coming undone, 

what a mess lol

I just break it up on the drying screen to allow it to dry. large.PB300001.JPG.bb35361989dfcea4286950c16d86e84b.JPG

but others do freeze it to help with the process. 

Atb

☯️

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

Search for Meguiar's car washing bucket.

25L homebrew bucket for a fiver :yep:

• Like 2

It's a good idea to push the resin through a sieve, I use the back of a table spoon to work it through. It looks like a paste on the top of the sieve but underneath it comes out like a fluffy brown sugar. Does much better like that. 

I thought it was standard practice, the sieve came with my washing machine/bag set. 

• Like 1

There you go :yep:

I used to use this guide whenever I made washing machine hash.

Sadly looks like we’ve lost the pictures in the upgrade 😒

Edited by Cursed
  • Like 1

I also use a kitchen sieve and spoon to grate the bubble through onto 'trays' made of parchment paper, gives a nice mold free dry. 

Been tempted with a portable washing machine, but with very limited storage space and not a great deal of trim from single person use, I've never bothered. 

Ideal weather at the moment, sunny and cold down south today. 

The 18" long paint stirrer in a drill creates a really good vortex. 

• Like 1

Yeah the weather made walking back with the ice easy and the cold tap water was also good.

I did actually have a what was listed as a 5 gallon bucket (assuming US gallon but i'll have to check), was gonna go for the meguiars one but nationwide motorfactors had another variety on offer for £8. Might be the fact the bags are china rip offs.... if anyone is kind enough to measure diameter on the meguiars for comparison :').

I do have chance to get some dry trim to run next which I might try but FML it wasn't easy :D. I have a feeling when I sieve i'll lose half my product as there wasn't much after all the faf in the end :'). Do want it to dry though, the trichs I ended up scraping off the spoon with my teeth tasted lovely and will be good comparison of fresh frozen vs the dry.

Thanks for the tips, I threw the pressing screen in the freezer last night so i'll see what i've got on there today and see if its worth just trying to break up on the screen or try grating/sieving out.

I think for what its worth, the manual agitation method is more than adequate and the washing machine is a complication that's just not needed... that and the fact the one I got has a very limited capacity. Bucket and a big stirrer might be the better way afterall.

Nice shout on the brewbucket too Joolz!

Another issue I had... turning the bags inside out without the sides of the bag ruining the washed together trichs and smudging em about... wasn't easy, bags are quite rigid. Finding something big enough for the bags to splay them out over, also difficult! I went for the full mesh bags but kinda regretting it at this point as I think the others might have been easier to handle. May just throw the grades together minus the one bit of leaf contaminated stuff I ended up with.

• Like 2

Well... as expected, i'm probably gonna end up with some mouldy hash. Its just too squidgy/melty to do anything with :D. Maybe the fresh frozen adding to the problem. It literally just smears into anything even after being frozen :'). I need to find some alcohol to try clear the pressing screen which unfortunately still has plenty of product left stuck in it :D. Might stick to dry sieving.

Edited by rememberingnever
  • Like 2

That’s probably all the terpines making it more liquid since you started with fresh frozen material :) 

@PureSmkr might have some hints and tips in his threads 👍

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 1

For the average hobby grower a freeze dryer isn’t worth the spend but I got fed up smudging wet hash around & making a right old mess.

Unfortunately that’s the answer really, if you’ve already tried freezing it and then lightly grating it to break it up, then drying it and didn’t get the results you wanted, then that’s the way to make it a whole lot easier. 

• Like 1

To recover the hash from the bags find a bowl/bucket of similar diameter to the base of your bubble bags. Drain everything as centrally as you can then carefully turn the bag inside out and stretch it over the bowl & scrape the hash up with a credit card.

It worked for me.

• Like 1