When can I germinate? (semi auto)

firsttimejoe

I was confused about Real Gorilla Seeds' website stating "The best sowing time is mid April to mid May. We wouldn’t recommend pre-growing them indoors, because they are semi-auto-flowering* and this would cause them to start flowering in May outdoors. They need the longer days and intensive midsummer sun to reach full potential." on their page for Easy Sativa seeds but now I suppose what they mean by "pre-growing" is growing them longer than 12 days etc to grow monsters etc? @panik

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dingo bingo said:

I was confused about Real Gorilla Seeds' website stating "The best sowing time is mid April to mid May. We wouldn’t recommend pre-growing them indoors, because they are semi-auto-flowering* and this would cause them to start flowering in May outdoors. They need the longer days and intensive midsummer sun to reach full potential." on their page for Easy Sativa seeds but now I suppose what they mean by "pre-growing" is growing them longer than 12 days etc to grow monsters etc? @panik

This blurb is for most of the eager Beavers that can’t help themselves but start seeds early every season in doing so what happens is especially with semi Autos  is the strains will trigger into flowering early  before mid May so which will end up in semi automatic strains revegging and going into a spastic mode , then you will get people moaning about genetics when they just didn’t listen to the information given from guys in the   know with experience..

so our advice at RGS is start seeds from last week April / beginning of May and plant out Mid May onwards up to end June .

normal photoperiods are a different story you probably won’t get reveg but really no need to plant out any time before mid May you can get huge plants from Mid May onwards plant outs.

• Like 9

My 2 cents :

if you plant them outside too early there’s a chance they’ll autoflower, this happened to me a couple of times before I realised. They were planted out early April in both cases. 
As long as you plant them out may onwards the wont autoflower. Don’t worry too much about indoor vegging because most growth occurs June, July and august, but a head start indoors is bound to make a difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Mad Barry said:

My 2 cents :

if you plant them outside too early there’s a chance they’ll autoflower, this happened to me a couple of times before I realised. They were planted out early April in both cases. 
As long as you plant them out may onwards the wont autoflower. Don’t worry too much about indoor vegging because most growth occurs June, July and august, but a head start indoors is bound to make a difference. 

Barry, did you used to grow under a canopy or in a back yard years back, sure I saw an expat brit document some really nice grows in the land of maple syrup a number of years back on overgrow or some such similar site? 

3 hours ago, Ch@ppers said:

Barry, did you used to grow under a canopy or in a back yard years back, sure I saw an expat brit document some really nice grows in the land of maple syrup a number of years back on overgrow or some such similar site? 

No I’ve never documented a grow, the only reason I’m posting now on uk420 is because I’m out of the reach of the British government ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I sowed directly into my pots last year at the end of March, but night time temps and the temp of the soil held the plants back a little, this year I have sowed into small pots and am growing on for a month indoors before planting out at the start of May. 

My autos will be sown directly into their final pots at the beginning of May, with the intention of an early August harvest.

• Like 5

@panik

I saved some notes from years ago where I think you said not to plant auto's in to hard/clay ground as they won't grow well because they need airy/fluffy soil to thrive - does that sound right? Could you expand a bit please? My plots on clay soil but I amended it last year with some compost/manure so I'm not sure if it's worth trying auto's....

• Like 1

Am up norf of lat 54 and here I've tried a range of starting times, usually around two weeks indoors followed by two weeks in a tunnel or greenhouse and then out at about a month old.  Autos have done best started first week of may for me, photos around the last week of April.  I've had both autos and photos that have been upset by starting them on 4 / 20 day, but then I've had photos do fine too started then. My take based on my lat is that it's better to wait within reason and also that protecting them - especially the Autos from low night temps is important when they're small. 

• Like 5

S's ! Strain, Sun, Security and Soil, and protect against Slugs, Snails, Snoopers and Severe weather 

• Like 4