Seedling/veg light

Boojum

Ay up everyone, I'm wondering about seedlings under my light. I've just got the one 2ftx2ft tent, I was growing under two 300W CFLs, a blue one and a red one (I grow autos nowadays so they're always on) popping 2 seeds at a time, vegging them under one then moving them under the other after a month and replacing with 2 new seedlings like a kinda conveyor belt. I plan on continuing that way, but I'm wondering will it work under just the Vipar I've bought to cover the whole tent (given that the seedlings will be a lot further from the light than the canopy of the flowering plants) or will that cause problems (either with the light being too strong, even if it's a lot further away, or not being strong enough because it's too far away) ? (I get that I can raise the pots as well as lower the lights lol I'm just wondering if the light on 100% will be wrong for the seedlings at any height, I'm new to the whole LED thing and given that I previously used CFLs I've absolutely no experience of lights perhaps being too intense lol ).

Sorry if it's a stupid question :rolleyes:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

Yo dude a 2x2 i would go with a P600 by viparspectra think thats right. lol

Cheap on the river site and at 95w is doing a job flowering out a small plant.

Though this is a a one off trail to see if it could flower one out as i plan to start keeping mams in there a bit later down the line.

Good thing about it it everything is inbuilt driver and dimmer driver adds a little warmth and with the dimmer able to turn it right down.

Had mine running about 2 years and still works like the day i bought it.

Its ideal for a small space.

Link to diary is in me sig but here's a link to latest page space is roughly 400x400.

Edited by murphyblue

I have totally misread ur post mr @Boojum sir i apologize like innit.

I haven't edited the post above so everyone can see my fuck up (thought u would appreciated that lol ).

I reread ur post and think depending on height u might be ok if u could keep the seedlings maybe shielded a bit using the larger plants.

Don't know what Vipar u got but i found even with my cheapy one if plants get too close it will burn them.

• Like 1

Used par plus 480w at 40% for seedlings,only problem might be temps in your space if your not prepared already,they will love more light and led spectrum IMO. If it turns out stretched due distance top or crop them down a bit and put on some upturned pot to gain height.

I got 480w at max in full flower 30cm from plants at points,no burned leafs or herms. Radial 24 to 26,RH 55% average,high oscilating. Think most issues come from 600w zeus leds as they are strong as f.

I lashed up a small home made LED array for seedlings recently, I used it to grow six plants until they were ready to go under the main light, 2.5-3 weeks or thereabouts and I just tested the power it drains from the wall at 10 watts! That was easily enough light to get them started healthily with zero stretch so any more is a waste of electricity.

Vince used a diffuser above his seedlings in a similar set up , he didn’t use vipar though. If it was me I’d try the same . . 

Even very young canna plants can take a surprisingly high DLI if you have the right environment. In my experience if both pots are at the same level and your light is at an appropriate height/wattage for the bigger one, the smaller will be fine, verging on not having enough, but you can easily raise them up a bit to solve that. 

Get this doodad off this thread and then you'll be able to keep an eye on things, they're only 20 quid or so. 

Edited by MindSoup

Watch the bottom one first, quite long but I know you like a good watch:hippy:

Edited by MindSoup