I Really need some help here with my PH fluctuations in DWC

MrGreenfinga

53 minutes ago, badbillybob said:

your ph will be caused by the rockwool cubes.

the airstones will be fine, theyve been used for decades

did you ph the medium in your net pot before starting? im guessing not.

sort this out and you will be fine

I germinated my seed in a rockwool cube and watered it with ph5,8 water then transplanted it to my net pot filled with hydroton cant see how this would do anything to my water solution

20 minutes ago, Shogun said:

No it wasn't counter productive at all. I grew DWC for over 10 years. The last year I stopped paying attention to ph and ec. Zero headaches and my plants actually seemed to thank me. The nutrients were measured by a syringe only, no ec stick. If you are using the right nutrients for your water (and right amount) your ph should be close to perfect. I'm not necessarily recommending I'm just sharing my experience. The best results I've had were from keeping it simple and stress free. 

My EC is at 500 and i dont think it should be much lower or much higher maybe its another talk when my roots really start drinking water?

7 minutes ago, MrGreenfinga said:

My EC is at 500 and i dont think it should be much lower or much higher maybe its another talk when my roots really start drinking water?

500 is your ppm. EC numbers are low, around 1.4 -  2.0 is optimal ec depending on growth stage.

7 minutes ago, Shogun said:

500 is your ppm. EC numbers are low, around 1.4 -  2.0 is optimal ec depending on growth stage.

its 6 days old and only got its first leaves 

500ec

250ppm 

call it what you wanna but i think im going to burn them if i add more

Roughly for dwc

W

5 hours ago, MrGreenfinga said:

its 6 days old and only got its first leaves 

500ec

250ppm 

call it what you wanna but i think im going to burn them if i add more

250ppm is 0.5ec

Even seedlings can drink 0.8ec but 0.5 shojld be fine

Small plants 1.0

Med to full size 1.2/1.4

Watching ph and adjusting as per my prev post

Can you run through your procedure and what are you putting in in what order?

Edited by stu sleeper 20vt

13 hours ago, MrGreenfinga said:

I germinated my seed in a rockwool cube and watered it with ph5,8 water then transplanted it to my net pot filled with hydroton cant see how this would do anything to my water solution

ok well here goes....get a netypot full of hydroton, and throw in a cube. let it soak  in a bucket of ph 5.6 water for 24 hrs. then check ph the next day 24 hrs later, and youj will s ee what effect it has.

then remember that the water in the dwc is splashing up through the hydroton.

9 hours ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Roughly for dwc

W

250ppm is 0.5ec

Even seedlings can drink 0.8ec but 0.5 shojld be fine

Small plants 1.0

Med to full size 1.2/1.4

Watching ph and adjusting as per my prev post

Can you run through your procedure and what are you putting in in what order?

I dont quite understand your question 

putting what in, in what order?

16 hours ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Roughly for dwc

If your ph is moving quick then your nutrient strength is off.

If your ph is rising then make nutrient stronger

If your ph is dropping then back off the nutrient strength 

Temp is also important...I like 18-20*c utilising fishtank heater

I Really dont understand how this work either because yes maybe it will have a impact on stabilising my ph but what if its too hot for my plant to drink?

does my water and my plant roots speak the same language or something?

1 minute ago, MrGreenfinga said:

I Really dont understand how this work either because yes maybe it will have a impact on stabilising my ph but what if its too hot for my plant to drink?

does my water and my plant roots speak the same language or something?

18 -20c is ideal root temp. Any lower or higher and you will encounter problems.

8 minutes ago, Shogun said:

18 -20c is ideal root temp. Any lower or higher and you will encounter problems.

I was meaning the nutrient solution in the bucket

1 minute ago, MrGreenfinga said:

I was meaning the nutrient solution in the bucket

So are we. Your nutrient solution should be sitting at 18-20c so the roots growing in the solution are at the same temp. 

Personally I would still have 6 day old seedlings in a propagator hardening up ( or a window sill if it was warmer outside) their too young to be worrying too much about ph and ec.

7 minutes ago, Shogun said:

So are we. Your nutrient solution should be sitting at 18-20c so the roots growing in the solution are at the same temp. 

Personally I would still have 6 day old seedlings in a propagator hardening up ( or a window sill if it was warmer outside) their too young to be worrying too much about ph and ec.

Ph its for proper nutrient uptake 

too high ec will burn my little fella

The only thing i was looking for a answer on was why  @stu sleeper 20vt was saying to add more or less nutes to adjust ph doesnt make any sense just sounds like problems to me

27 minutes ago, MrGreenfinga said:

Ph its for proper nutrient uptake 

too high ec will burn my little fella

The only thing i was looking for a answer on was why  @stu sleeper 20vt was saying to add more or less nutes to adjust ph doesnt make any sense just sounds like problems to me

Your getting solid advice from proven experienced growers here but your not taking any of it. Good luck.

• Like 4

Plant feeds are slightly acidic.

The more food they eat..the weaker the solution will become-.the ph will rise.

If the feed is too strong then they will drink more water than eating food...which leaves the nutrient solution getting stronger and stronger which will show itself in the pH dropping.

Like shogun says,really they're a bit too young to be in the system.

You ideally want loads of roots outside the cube before putting into the dwc otherwise you run the risk of the cube being saturated and the roots stunting inside it.

• Like 2

I had this issue with Dwc I it takes patience but my method now is I full a 250l flexi tub the day before the water change and mix the nutes let the nutes mix though I use a pump with a hosepipe and garden nozzle on the end just circulate till the next day that’s when I adjust the ph and a spash of silver bullet  I don’t use Rockwool as I found the to mess with the ph too much so I now use the sponges from

root it and never really have much issues. Your ph will fluctuate as the plants take up more nutes but that’s my method that works for me. Good luck. 

• Like 1