Has Clover changed?

latitude54

I’ve used Clover MPC for the last 2 and a half years but the last couple of bags seem to be quite different to the previous ones. It seems full of stringy, fibre like material. kinda like fine roots and the odd twig or two. 
Anyone else seeing the same or similar? 

It might just be me paying more attention to what goes into my pots but I’m sure I’d have noticed before now. 

Edited by latitude54
  • Like 2

When did you last use it mate I've noticed a change but for the better?

Only been using for about a year or so, green 60l bags was ok but possibly fits the description of stringy fibre like material......the later versions of that came with the added bonus of fungus gnats for me

Went to the garden centre that stocked it back in November and.they had new stock of "clover pat's blend", comes in grey 50l bags and seems better quality. Still 100% peat but won't be able to buy much longer. I believe ban on public peat sale is no active not sure how that's working

• Like 2

I used two bags and stopped, was a big improvement over Westlands MP, but I much prefer the results of BioBizz light mix regardless of there being the odd twigs, I realised having soil that was fine and consistent is actually worse for drainage and compacting, made even worse without perlite.

2 hours ago, Eldo said:

the later versions of that came with the added bonus of fungus gnats for me

My second bag came with the root eating species of springtails, gave the rest to my mum for the garden.

• Like 1

While ago I picked any up (branding changed to pat’s blend, although supposedly the same stuff) . Did find it was darker peat with more fluff and wood in it + pests.  

Think their professional range is probably still decent, but mostly just use coco these days.  

• Like 1

The professional range always used to be exactly the same as normal but with the addition of water crystals iirc. Just charge twice the price for it. All the professionals I know use the standard mp.

Won't be long till its all gone though. Must be a kick in the teeth for clover who basically do nothing but peat products. Guess they will just start selling it as turf instead

16 hours ago, Eldo said:

When did you last use it mate I've noticed a change but for the better?

I’ve been using it constantly both indoors and out. It’s only been this last bag that I’ve noticed the change in composition. 

With the peat ban coming I think I’ll try BioBizz light mix. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it had changed well over a year or so ago, well before the peat ban was even spoken of - I had used it consistently for a few seasons from around 2014 doing sacks of clover in hidden sun traps. Hasn't been the same for awhile - the grow and bloom or whatever its called isn't much better either? This was offered as an alternative. Worked but didn't seem to be any better the clover been sold the past year or so

Edited by MeMyselfAndIGuerilla
  • Like 2

On 10/01/2024 at 09:46, Amarillo slim said:

While ago I picked any up (branding changed to pat’s blend, although supposedly the same stuff) . Did find it was darker peat with more fluff and wood in it + pests.  

Think their professional range is probably still decent, but mostly just use coco these days.  

The pats blend is terrible, was given some of this to try by a local garden centre. Ended up in a veggie flower bed mixed with grow & bloom compost on the allotment t cardboards off then amended with well rotted manure a few weeks ago. Soon to be a no dig tester bed 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well the last grow and this current one, the roots seem to be doing fine. I've been using Clover for about 7 years now as it's cheap and it works. No way I'm going to pay £20 a bag for any pro as I use quite a few. What will you be using once the peat ban comes in? I know I'll be stocking enough Clover in my garage as much as the free space in there will allow. I don't want to start faffing about with Coco, PH, nutrient stick etc, been through it years ago, it's too much bloody hassle.

Edited by Casey Jones