A question about calcium

Hashslag

First of all, wishing everyone here a happy 2024 ahead :)

Now - let's say I was fairly certain that my plant was suffering with a slight calcium deficiency. Let's also say that I have some existing calcium powder in my possession that I usually use to dust crickets with for my reptile food. Could I utilise this powder to add calcium to my plant? And if so, what sort of dosage would we be talking? Would you top dress and water in, or add some of the powder to your water before watering the soil?

Thanks in advance!

The first thing to check is your tap water, have you looked at your water companies quality report?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

The first thing to check is your tap water, have you looked at your water companies quality report?

I did have one a while back but I can't seem to find it now. I'll see if I can get another.

I think it says 333mg/L? Displayed in the chart as 'Hardness (Total) as CaCO3' - is that correct?

That is pretty hard water with a lot of calcium in it.

You definitely don't need to add any more calcium, if anything you probably need to supplement with magnesium (Epsom salts) but check your report for magnesium levels first.

• Like 2

@latigid aikon would the Epsom salts assist with uptake of calcium then, perhaps? Looking at images online of the leaves it certainly looks pretty damn accurate for calcium def, and if that is the case it makes me wonder why it's not getting to the plant properly :\

4.2mg/L is very low so you should definitely supplement with Epsom salts.

You're looking for a 3:1 Ca:Mg ratio but the maths is more complex than it appears, the Calcium figure you gave above is not pure calcium, it includes carbon and oxygen (carbonate) too.

Calcium can't be absorbed by the plant without magnesium, or it can't be transported around the plant without it or something along those lines so this is why you are seeing calcium issues probably.

You can also get Ca absorption deficiencies if the environment isn't right. What are your soil temperatures, air temperatures and humidity levels during lights on and lights off?

Edited by latigid aikon
spelling
  • Like 3

No idea what the soil temp is inside, but the ambient temp lights on is upper mid 20s, lights off I don't know as I'm usually in bed when that happens. The pot I'm using is compact - it's a micro cabinet so everything is smaller scale so it's not like there is tons of soil for any warmth to penetrate or anything. Pot is raised off the ground as well. Humidity is around 50% average I'd say. Probably not peak conditions tbh, but as good as I can muster at the moment.

It's probably getting a bit cold in the rootzone, especially with the lights off.  A root heat mat with a controller might well solve the Ca issue you're seeing and even if it doesn't your plants will still appreciate it and repay you later.

• Like 2

@latigid aikon thanks mate - yeah I was due to pick up a heat mat just before xmas but the seller was messing me about so I pulled out and then xmas happened. I was trying to get one locally for peanuts rather than having to travel out to a garden centre or pay 3 times the amount! I'll see if I can source one soon though - cheers for all your input :) 

• Like 2

@Hashslag Cold temps plus a wet rootzone can change the pH (i.e. lower it - making it more acidic) - with that comes the inability to uptake Calcium and Magnesium (best uptake between pH 6 - 6.5). So even if its there in abundance it won't matter if your soil pH is off. You can easily overwater when its cold. The soil is just another part of your environment to "dial in".

Even a harsh dry back can hurt the pH balance too - so when you get your heat mat don't put your pots directly on it, put a plastic tray under each one and make sure to have a soil thermometer thermostat to prevent roasting them and keep the temps level. Anything between 20C - 24C for the rootzone imho is good.

• Like 4