Coverage in a larger space

Clubs

As usual,  I'm having difficulty finding an answer to this so here goes.

I'm building a grow space measuring 113cm x 165cm, no real reason other than that it was easier to build with the way the shed was constructed. However, I'm not trying to light the whole space at this point due to equipment cost/energy cost etc.

I'm looking to use a 120x60 (2×4) area in the centre and run a 250-300w fixture, get a decent SCROG on the go. Trouble is, this leaves a gap between the edge of the 2x4 area and the mylar reflective walls. The gap will be 25cm on 2 sides and 22cm on the other 2 sides, so there's going to be some space around the plants.

I'm wondering that if I do this, will there be a substantial drop off in ppdf/PAR (or whatever) around the edges because the reflective walls aren't right up next to the plants?

I was looking at the new Viparspectra XS2500 Pro, which apparently relies less on reflective walls because of the directional lenses but I'm also looking for quality so would prefer something like a Migro Aray 4.

Any tips appreciated 

Edited by Clubs

Hiya,i not have so much experience but i got in my small tent Ionboard S22 Full Spectrum Grow Light 100W, Samsung LM301H for 2x2 if i push on  max on the middle 20cm away from the light it push out  65k lux so more what they say.So the thing is they got for 2x4 tent and that is 200w not cheap but i think worth the money.

Here is the name:Ionboard S24 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light 200W, Samsung LM301H 2 X 4 Ft Coverage 60cm X 120cm

• Like 1

Just now, Norbinyo said:

Hiya,i not have so much experience but i got in my small tent Ionboard S22 Full Spectrum Grow Light 100W, Samsung LM301H for 2x2 if i push on  max on the middle 20cm away from the light it push out  65k lux so more what they say.So the thing is they got for 2x4 tent and that is 200w not cheap but i think worth the money.

Here is the name:Ionboard S24 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light 200W, Samsung LM301H 2 X 4 Ft Coverage 60cm X 120cm

Thanks for this. I did consider the AC Infinity fixtures but I'm not particularly impressed with how evenly they cover the space. I have some lights in mind already so it was more a question of whether the space between the plants and the walls would present an issue. I'm sure I'm being a bit picky but I want/need to get the most out of any light I go for. Cheers

• Like 1

A light like mine would be just under that footprint the specs say 3x5 aka 900ish x 1520ish . Had it since release no issues whatsoever so far HLG Diablo 

• Like 2

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

A light like mine would be just under that footprint the specs say 3x5 aka 900ish x 1520ish . Had it since release no issues whatsoever so far HLG Diablo 

£850 :ohmygod: I'm sure it's a banging fixture but I'd need to sell my ass to pay for that. lol

I've already spent thousands on the grow shed so was looking for something a little more reasonable,  like £270. 

• Like 1

You haven’t looked fully  they do hlg Diablo 350 you have looked at the larger units . Mine was around £450 and hardly ever use it maxed out 

• Like 1

Just now, Arthur Mix said:

You haven’t looked fully  they do hlg Diablo 350 you have looked at the larger units . Mine was around £450 and hardly ever use it maxed out 

Ah OK, I'll have a look at them, cheers. Need to go to work so will check responses later.

HLG are a bit expensive for me having looked at them. I mean, the quality looks top-notch but quantum boards won't give me the more even coverage I'm looking for. 

But would anyone like to take a stab at the original question? As I mentioned, I'm not trying to light the whole room, just a 2x4 area.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Clubs said:

But would anyone like to take a stab at the original question?

I'll have a go. lol

Could u move the 2x4 area u want to grow in out off the middle and into a corner ?

At least then 2 sides will be nearer the mylar.

And if u offset the light away from the corner the lack of reflective material on the outside should be covered by the extra light made sense to me anyways. lol

As for a light i use boards and as u say think a strip type fixture would give u better coverage.

• Like 1

I wouldn't put the 2x4 area in the middle.

If it was 120cm along your long wall leaving you 45cm to squeeze your filter on the floor beside your pots that will leave you enough space to stand infront of the screen.

• Like 1

If I was in that budget range I’d go for the hlg diy assembly kits or maybe the vipars  or ledtech.de a German company I have a veg panel from again no issues there and they make them in housse . Whatever lights I’d personally go for one more than needed and run them dimmed .

Edited by Arthur Mix
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, murphyblue said:

I'll have a go. lol

Could u move the 2x4 area u want to grow in out off the middle and into a corner ?

At least then 2 sides will be nearer the mylar.

And if u offset the light away from the corner the lack of reflective material on the outside should be covered by the extra light made sense to me anyways. lol

As for a light i use boards and as u say think a strip type fixture would give u better coverage.

This is a good idea. This would leave a gap of 53 to access the plants from the front, and as you say, at least 2 sides are up against the wall. Off-setting or slightly angling the fixture is something I can play around with too, thanks.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Arthur Mix yeah, they look like great lights, and if I was growing in a 2z4 tent then I'd be all over it. However, without that immediate reflectivity on several sides, I'll have to rely on a more spread-out fixture to assure fairly decent coverage. 

"Whatever lights I’d personally go for one more than needed and run them dimmed ."

This is the plan. Eventually,  when I've saved up a few more pennies,  I'll aim to squeeze an extra 2x4 fixture in the space. The original plan was to build a 2x4 room at the back of the shed but I was thinking of the future and wanted to give myself the option of scaling up.

For now, the best option I can see is the Migro Aray 4, unless the 4x4 goes on sale before Spring.

Edited by Clubs