How do you grow clones?

latitude54

I have 2 clones. One is in my little veg tent and one is in the big tent. 

The one in the big tent is in an 8L pot and is growing very happily but isn’t exactly substantial at the moment. Problem is, I’m not really sure how to treat her? It’s my first time growing a clone out to flower and I’ve no idea if I should be topping, training or just let her do her own thing? 

any advice would be very welcome. 

• Like 2

Not any differently to how you grow a seed out really. Starting at full/normal strength nutrients is all I can really think of. You can train them if you want but you don't have to, they'll stretch less than they did from a seed. 

• Like 6

As @MindSoup already said their pretty much the same. I find they can need a little more support than a seed plant but other than that its the same as having a seed at about a week old instead of germination. 

• Like 4

Just to add, clones take on the age of the parent plant so once rooted can take higher feed

and light levels than seedlings, also branches are offset on the main stem rather than being

opposite each other but you can top, train and flower as you wish...:yep:

• Like 5

Ive got a few clones to take in the next week or so. Waiting for ever for the plants to show sex.

Some Clonex, a few party cups and a humidity/propagator and away they go. I need to cull a few males for space in the tent for the clones. 

From seed is taking ages, 6 weeks and just under a foot tall. 

MistY

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd revive this thread rather than starting a new one...

How to you top clones? They dont grow symetrically so surely, if you top themain stem the next single node down will take over as a single primary stem?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, latitude54 said:

take over as a single primary stem?

It does to a degree but I've found by topping the lower branches are encouraged to catch up.

Currently got some in first week of flower so I'll grab some pics and pop them up next week.

They'll be in my 'Glookie Bomb' thread...:yep:

• Like 1

large.659830a5ab407_WidowRoadday61.jpgI leave 4 branches running N,S,E&W, tie them down as long as possible then top all 4. Tie down anything else that wants to be the boss in order to get a level canopy.

At this stage I'd probably give them another 2 weeks before flipping & the process will have taken about 2 months.

The pic is of some Widow Road lady grown from clone in a 10L fabric pot...when she's dry enough I'll see if I can remove the buds just leaving the stripped plant just to show what you end up with. This, imo, is the best way to maximise your harvest.

• Like 4
On 12/27/2023 at 0:27 PM, latitude54 said:

I’m not really sure how to treat her

The same way you'd treat any plant of that specific age.  that's really the only difference, in my mind.  A cut off a plant that's been in veg for a year can be treated like a 1 year old vegging plant. 

For whatever it's worth, It seems, in my world, that whatever preexisting issue the veg plant has seem to be more difficult to cure in clone form.  I may just be imagining that, but it seems that way.  Cal def is common for me. 

So if I take a cut off a plant in the beginning stages of cal def, the issues exacerbates during rooting and then once the cut is established, its in bad shape.  

Fix veg plant problems before you take a cutting if you want a healthy cut plant, is what I'm getting at.  Ive tried fixing the def issues once the clone roots, but it seems more difficult that way.  Just anecdotal observations, but could be something there that's based in fact.  

U knows me by now butty. lol

My suggestion would be once rooted send em horizontal like innit.

Although u got staggered nodes it could work in ur favour as u can send one branch one way and the next the other.

A bit of veg and u got 10-12 evenly spaced main tops.

Get urself some cheap garden wire the stuff with the green coating on it and a tub of small bulldog type clips.

U will be surprised the differnece it can make if u have every branch at the same height ur yeild will defo improve.

A good tip is double up on the main stem 2 clips and 2 ties one either side as its always this bit that wants to go for it.

And yet its this bit u must always keep lower i repeat just keep pulling it down daily if u have to.

The main stem will always get fed it will always be the biggest and best bud no matter what.

So keeping it a couple of inches below the rest of the plant makes sense it means the rest of the branches get more of the good stuff as its pumped around the plant.

Edited by murphyblue
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

Plus one for the bend over, I think I'm finally going to revisit that method this next run. 

You's know it makes sense dude with ur bed and a screen u could double ur yield i reckon.

Keeping every branch top exactly the same level works wonders.

U only got to look at @Notorious B.U.D 's yeilds with his scrog.

I am defo going to try a CMOG V1 scrog grow next winter i think its the best way to keep everything the same height.

And also think the more even the canopy the better the yeild overall rather than one large huge bud.

• Like 1

Yeah man when I did GG I always bent my main stems to the north, such a simple way to get a good shape. I did the same sort of thing for my first two indoor grows as well, but trained the main stem totally horizontal from the start, cutting off everything that pointed to the floor. Worked great, don't know why I stopped doing it TBH :headpain:.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1