Would you use my water ?

AJA

Since i started my first grow in October,  i've been using  butt rain water, so this has a low EC of  0.1 and pH of 7.45

My tap water is in the hard category  EC  0.7  pH 8.14

I bought a tap mounted carbon filter, and use Ecothrive Neutralise to dispel the Chloramine. I believe you can let tap water sit for 24 or 48 hours and Chlorine will evaporate, but Chloramine does not. Hence the Neutralise  to get rid.  Can be read about on Ecothrive website.

So , tap water after running through the CF , with Neutralise added, EC 0.7 and pH 8.49.

Would anyone use the adjusted tap water, or plain tap water or the butt water ?  Butt water can sometimes be in short supply and is more hard work to gather and transport home.

Edited by AJA

Carbon filters and Neutralise are a waste of time and money. Either use your water as-is or with some Epsom salts, which will probably work fine, or buy a proper RO filter.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, AJA said:

its pretty horrible stuff at EC 0.7 and pH 8.14

I've lived in a couple of places with 0.7 EC water, I used to have an RO filter but I haven't re-fitted it since I moved over a year ago and I'm not missing it. Not for production plants anyway, my mother plants have needed root pruning more often which I think must be due to excess salt build up.

• Like 1

At moment in flower, i'm feeding EC 1.3 which only gives my nutes of 0.6,  which seems low.  Also i'm pH downing to 5.8 - 6.0 

I have read that too much pH down fluid is not that good for plants.  I have no idea, of course :unsure:

Buy a bag of Epsom. Dissolve 250g in 1L water (it will dissolve). Put it in a storage bottle. Add 2ml to every litre of tap water. That's the magnesium sorted. My water is 0.7ec. This is  what I do.

• Like 2

Plenty of us have very hard water, it's no biggie. I sometimes go entire crops never going more than 1/3 strength on the nutes, you'd be surprised how little they need.

I also supplement the ferts with epsoms to correct the Ca/Mg ratio and canna trace mix as my fertiliser strength is so low. I was getting good results before doing this but a few years of fine tuning my ratios I've made some amazing improvements doing it

• Like 1