Ready to flip?

BigMac93

Hi,

My first Indoor, few little issues at the start, i was overwatering them as seedlings, but sorted that out and soon bounced back.

Just wondering if you guys would flip them or let them grow a bit more? 

They've been kept short and wide with topping and tying down.

They were seeds put into wet kitchen roll on 18th November.

Some experienced input would be appreciated 

Edited by JoshCrompton

The one in the middle is a g13 purple haze that has had quite a lot of LST, the right an in house platinum silk. 

The small one on the left is another platinum silk that was popped 2 weeks later due to me killing a weak seedling. 

Edited by JoshCrompton

Just now, BilgePump said:

Personally id let em grow a bit, others might say flip now.

Have they rooted out their pots yet?

:yinyang:

They've went up from 11ls to 15ls about 5 days ago, Every time I potted up had nice strong roots...like you say I been thinking let the roots hit the sides in these big pots and get a bit more height, but seems a long veg, getting inpatient

• Like 1

Just now, lildaveham said:

Give them another 5-7 days then flip imo.

:yep:

Thats about what im thinking at the min mate, just hard to judge on your first go

Edited by JoshCrompton
  • Like 1

That's less than 6 weeks from germination, they've probably only recently started showing preflowers. It's good practice to wait for preflowers as it means the plant is sexually mature. They've certainly grown well though.

Patience is a growers best friend btw :yes:

• Like 4

Depends if you plan to use a scrog net?

If not then no rush, if you did then you need to flip earlier.

I don't buy into the waiting for sexually mature before flipping thing, the plant will display sex/pre flowers regardless after you Flip anyways, my previous experiment grow I only vegged 2 weeks from germination then flipped and they all grow great. The grow before that I veg from exactly 4 weeks from germination and still filled a canopy just fine and yielded great.

Only two week veg from germination, no scrog, or no silica hence the support.

large.20230930_021436.jpg

Exactly 4 weeks veg from germination.

large.20230607_000126.jpglarge.20230606_234835.gif

I am by no means recommending people do only two weeks veg, it was just an experiment to prove you can. But 4 weeks is perfectly fine :yep:

I like to flip when it is time too, and the factors for that is plant count, grow space size and grow rate, otherwise if you over veg you end up with poor utilisation of your light spread like having a big gap between the top and the bottom of your canopy.

Example of a plant veged too long and made the canopy too tall.

large.20230206_194705.jpg

Side note: sometimes you have to veg longer so you can take decent cuts or if growing regs and you don't plan to flips cuts to find out sex earlier.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Military Grade said:

I don't buy into the waiting for sexually mature before flipping thing

It’s whether your plants do though.

Ive seen seeds done on 12/12 too,

but it doesn’t mean it’s best practice :D 

Atb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shumroom said:

It’s whether your plants do though.

Ive seen seeds done on 12/12 too,

but it doesn’t mean it’s best practice :D 

You have missed the point of my post mate, it wasn't a case of recommending people grow 12/12 from seed or even only two weeks veg, it just proves waiting for sexually maturity before Flip has no bearing on the quality of the end product, other than yield but that can be counted with more plants at once like SOG.

Not long after you Flip the plant will show its sex.

4 weeks veg is fine tho as that's what most people do anyways.

Can you elaborate as to why it's not best practice?

Edited by Military Grade

If I’m gonna flower something for 10 weeks plus,

it’d be nice to be sure that there won’t be any stress induced males flowers and pollen.

Just like avoiding light leaks etc.

Don’t get me wrong,

some pure Sativa varieties stretch so much during the extended bloom period that breeders recommend only giving a couple of weeks veg before flowering.

But that’s with proven quality genetics.

Theres so much dodgy crap going about these days,

it’s a minefield of seed breeders and fancy foody names.

So it’s best to recommend best practices rather than risk other peoples grows.

Atb

• Like 1

Just now, Shumroom said:

If I’m gonna flower something for 10 weeks plus,

it’d be nice to be sure that there won’t be any stress induced males flowers and pollen

I did state Regs needed longer if you don't plan to take cuts to 12/12 to find out earlier.

Is there any proof that flipping a plant before 6-8 weeks causes it to stress the plant?

Over vegging a plant in smaller grow spaces end up causing more problems, like poor light usage and loads of fluff buds lower down. As a pose to vegging to the right time for the space.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

5 days into flower and looking okay :cowboy: ....and they were showing me sex way before my original post.large.Screenshot_20240105_172646_Gallery_BDoupWup8M.jpeglarge.Screenshot_20240105_172643_Gallery_xfZNShs25Q.jpeg

Edited by BigMac93
  • Like 4

Was gonna start a thread with exactly the same title so in the interests of not clogging the firum up ... you reckon these are ready to flip? pic took yesterday.

large.20240110_160716..jpglarge.20240110_160710..jpg

Think I over vegged the last lot and clogged things up a bit so looking for a bit of rooom to breath this time.

• Like 3