Help needed with dehumidifiers

DrumBoy420

Hey all! 

on my second grow at the moment and my current dehumidifier is not cutting it. Any recommendations on any decent dehumidifiers for under £150? Need one that you can set a desired humidity on. I’ve got a pro breeze 20L one but it’s just not pulling out enough humidity.

im growing in a garage, which I’ve got extraction but I’ve not good any air being pulled into the tent as such. Which I’m guessing is part of the problem? But if I do add fresh air into the tent, I’m worried about the temperatures suffering in the tent itself.

cheers! 

• Like 1

Strap some ducting to your dehumidifier outlet and get it firing the dehumidified air right in to that motherfucker through a ducting sock. 

Have you tried ditching the dehumidifier and rigging up a proper warm air intake? Intake and extract are essential, proper air circulation might solve your humidity issues without the need to add a dehumidifier. 

Also dehumidifiers don't work well (sometimes at all) in winter temps. There's a possibility your dehumidifier is simply circulating any cold air being drawn into your tent without dehumidifying any of it.

@Shogun I’ve got the extraction going straight out of the garage (hole in the roof). I could try and add another for intake but it would be tough to do!

how would I get a warm intake if I’m drawing air from the outside?

my humidifier was working fine until the last week or so, two of the girls are in pre flower so kicking out a lot of humidity! 

I’ve opened some of flaps on the tent to let in some more air to see if that helps! 

1 hour ago, DrumBoy420 said:

any decent dehumidifiers for under £150?

Probably a second hand one at that price. 

Bringing in fresh air will probably help as long as you warm it up before nit hits the tent, a box with an oil rad in it works well, ducting from outside to the box and then from box to tents intake. 

Warm air can hold a lot more water than cold air, so if your pulling in air at say 6 °, then once it's warmed to 25-28° it's relative humidity will drop dramatically, he presto warm dry air. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Just now, DrumBoy420 said:

It’s in the tent at the moment

Yeah that's your problem, the air moves through the tent too quickly, so the dehumidifier can't treat it before it's already replaced with more cold wet air. You want to treat the air before it enters the tent ideally, either by heating/conditioning the "lung room" (room the tent is in) or do the heater in a box idea/get a duct heater. Like I say if you heat it properly I doubt you'll even need a dehumidifier as long as your extraction is up to task. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Shogun said:

Also dehumidifiers don't work well (sometimes at all) in winter temps. There's a possibility your dehumidifier is simply circulating any cold air being drawn into your tent without dehumidifying any of it.

I have an Inventor Rise 8L dessicant dehumidifier. It works down to 1c. Compressor types work down to 16c.

Edited by catweazle1

1 hour ago, DrumBoy420 said:

@mikeydoughnut interesting! I may give that a go. Do you mean put the dehumidified air back into the tent? It’s in the tent at the moment

Bob it out side the tent. Bungee chord some ducting over the outlet and have it feeding the tent through a sock. Try it before walloping brass out on a new one. Costs fuck all to try :) 

e2a - the intake/outtake tent socks. Not Tesco two stripes like …

Edited by mikeydoughnut

I’ve had a ProBreeze 20l for nearly

4 years and it works like a charm, not in the growspace tho. I have it just outside the passive intake vent on an Inkbird with the sensor in the tent. Surprised you haven’t had high heat issues with it in the tent. I did, it also caused condensation in my shed. If you make it like Mikey says, it’ll be sound. Dunno about yours, but mine has a continuous drain on it, so you can drill a hole through a wall and let the water out…no need for emptying the tank :yep:

11 minutes ago, fitzgeraldcaumn said:

Curious to hear from others: Does anyone have recommendations for the top CBD gummies?

Errrrr 

Welcome to UK420? 

Guessing your a bot or something? 

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 3:31 PM, DrumBoy420 said:

@mikeydoughnut interesting! I may give that a go. Do you mean put the dehumidified air back into the tent? It’s in the tent at the moment

Sorry newbie, but dehumidifier ( both compressor and dessicator) coundn't stay theoretically in a tent ( at least if it is not 4-8 sqm minimum) and with safety distance (20-40cm each side).

For my research only pellets dehumifier can ( if models for wardrobe/cabinet) and normally they are very small (1l/day).

The problems I had with dehumidifier compressor were related to temperatures. Below 20C compressors are not efficient as they need to defrost. ( I had this issue at night). If you locate the dehumidifier in the lung room you need to be sure to keep that temperature.

Dessicant in the other hand works fine from 1-5C.

For €150 you can get a 12l ( ecoair or 20l probreeze second hand) around 150-300W.

The idea to ducting the dehumidifier extractor and duct into the tent is very good. There are universal ducting or you can do a DIY.

• Like 1