Extraction setup

Twiki

Hi,

I'm currently setting up, and have been trying to use acoustic ducting. This stuff is a nightmare to install, and not sure if I've done it right? I know I have to get this bang on the money with the extraction and I'm not confident in what I've installed. Do you think it would be better to use a solid duct between filter and fan? Or even a standard bit of foil duct? I'm thinking that has a much lower chance of leaking. I would continue to use the acoustic after that,but feel that could be a lot safer as any smells would have been cleaned and if any leaks after that, it's scrubbed air!

Any advise or suggestions appreciated. 

Thanks Twiki....

Yeah a solid piece would be a good idea if your struggling to get a good seal. A pipe band/flexible coupling (plumbing kit) is the ideal solution. Makes assembly/disassembly a doddle and can reuse it over and over again. 

• Like 1

I use phonic trap acoustic ducting and clamps,I like wide clamps but regular will do if your shop is not on stock,maybe put 2 instead of 1 wide. You can use reduction piece between.

• Like 1

If possible attach fan directly to filter with no ducting at all. With the acoustic ducting you also need to tape/seal both the inner and outer layers

• Like 2

This my set-up...fan and filter connected directly with a solid metal U bend,

acoustic ducting secured with tape and clamps...works fine..:yep:

ETA the corner by the door also has a metal U...

large.SSCN1211.JPGlarge.SSCN1210.JPGlarge.SSCN0900.JPG

large.SSCN1209.JPGlarge.SSCN1208.JPG

Edited by stu914
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Twiki said:

Do you think it would be better to use a solid duct between filter and fan?

Insulated ducting (all kinds) perforated on the inside, and can draw in unfiltered air. You should only run insulated ducting with positive pressure in the duct line - the air escaping into the insulation via the inner tubes perforations is a part of how it quiet (slows) the air movement down.

• Like 4

Thanks all..

Been a massive help and some great advice!

Gonna go for the flexible coupling and probably swap the rest of the acoustic ducting for some black combi ducting.

• Like 1

Just now, Twiki said:

Thanks all..

Been a massive help and some great advice!

Gonna go for the flexible coupling and probably swap the rest of the acoustic ducting for some black combi ducting.

combi for me, great stuff, threw out all my phonic shite, can absorb moisture too. plus combi is black... no silver ducting sticking out any vents or eves