Smell indicator of Chop Timing?

Axiom

I'm pretty sure every run that I do the plants reach peak smell before the time of peak harvest?

Am I missing something here? Or is it normal for the smell to be intense and then die down a bit before they are ready to chop?

It seems they smell more complex at peak and then start to smell a bit funkier later on. 

Trichomes are mostly cloudy and like 25% clear. 

• Like 4

Yeah, I too have noticed this. I have read that the terps and VSCs are somewhat diminished by heat and low humidity, so once the plants are mature and more or less stop making new trichs, you can easily lose the aroma and taste by running them too hot and dry.  I am not 100% certain, but it sounds reasonable.

I am going to try dropping the light intensity and temperature as soon as the buds have swollen more or less as much as they plan to and are just maturing.  I am sure I haven't finished them off quite perfectly ever before.

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1

When to chop is a matter of taste and what u want from ur smoke.

A general rule is the earlier u chop and it might be a bit racey later u chop more couch lock.

I like it racey so normally chop most my plants a week earlier than most would consider cooked.

For me i would get it to 10% clear and chop other peeps with different tastes would leave it longer upto u dude.

• Like 1

Probably a bit of nose-blindness after initially smelling it for a while. Smells always seem most intense when you first sense them. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

I can’t smell anything in my garage lol The missus says it almost knocks her out if she walks in there; me, I wonder why my weed doesn’t smell like weed 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

I can’t smell anything in my garage lol The missus says it almost knocks her out if she walks in there; me, I wonder why my weed doesn’t smell like weed 

I have had that too.  I think it is literally that your brains-olfactorfy receptors have got bored of telling you the smell is there, so they ignore it.

• Like 4

On 21/12/2023 at 9:36 PM, MidgeSmith said:

I have had that too.  I think it is literally that your brains-olfactorfy receptors have got bored of telling you the smell is there, so they ignore it.

That must be it. I mean, until I started growing and attempting to dry it cure it properly, I had no idea how intense the smell can be lol 

13 hours ago, Goodbloke said:

The nose blindness thing is worth keeping in mind. It took someone else to point out that my filter had failed. 

Thanks for that :yep: That's an incredibly important bit of info. 

Note to self: Instruct missus to sniff around the exhaust hole :wassnnme: 

• Like 1