Heat mat location under pot

Amnesialocal

Hi all,

A quick question.

My heat mat clearly say on the mat itself not to put pot or trays directly on top of it.

How do you do with your mat on the grow room and plant on top?

Thanks

A

• Like 1

What is the point of a heat mat if you can't put anything on it?

Personally, I have 4 large ceramic tiles on my mat. Never had a problem. 

• Like 2

Been so long since I switched to providing a small air gap between mat & container that I'm struggling to remember why I switched from direct contact in the first place. 

I get minimal temp fluctuations with current setup, handwatering with temp matched water, very stable root temps. 

• Like 2

Sit a tray on top of the mat, they work better when they're all covered.

It probably warns you not to put them directly on it as it thinks it might cook the roots. Have you got a thermostat for it? I wouldn't run one without myself.

• Like 2

as stated you want some sort of temperature control at 24'C ish on your mat so you dont cook your plants youll be suprised how hot a single little pot can get  - inkbird temperature controllers are popular 

or put a towel between your heat mat & drip tray just add another layer if pots get too hot.

big tile works as well to spread the heat but you will have keep an eye on the temps.

oh and put some insualtation under the heat mat to stop the floor sapping all the heat 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND
  • Like 1

I use porcelain tiles to the same effect as @Larry Badgeley 

Mine are 300 x 600 so I use 8 and knock the corners off 4 of them with a little hammer and some masonry finesse. 

Learned the hard when when I put the plastic trays directly on them it didn't spread the heat at all and didn't allow for a buffer when heating cooling. 

Tiles make it much more stable and consistent. 

If you use the TS1 function on the ink bird you can also set a threshold limit of your choice, so that the heat map won't kick in 2c either side of your target. 

This will ensure longevity of your heat mats and is a safer way to use them.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to jump on this with a potentially silly question…

Would just a heat mat be sufficient to maintain temps with a LED grow light? Or would you suggest also using a tube heater for ambient heat?

15 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

Would just a heat mat be sufficient to maintain temps with a LED grow light? Or would you suggest also using a tube heater for ambient heat?

Depends on tent size and heat mat power and location (outside shed v  indoors)

17 hours ago, NormanNugget said:

Yes. Ambient temps need to be kept cosy too for optimal conditions. 26C-29C is a good zone, easier to achieve in summer.