Big LEDs in small tents (Lumatek 600 Pro in 4x4)

Rednose

Hey :cowboy:

Do anyone have any good tips on using to big LEDs in small tents, in regards to how they should be dimed to not burn canopies?

I just bought the Lumatek Zeus 600 Pro 2.9 and are going to use it in a 120x120x200 Homebox tent.

Im 1 week intop flower with me old HPS 600 from 2006, so me ladies will get a proper light upgrade whwn i switch, but Im super afraid of burning them.
The Lumatek has a dim from 50, 75 to 100% so Im wondering if I should start of with only 50 or 75, or go blast 100% right on :unsure:

Thanks for any help regarding big LEDs in small tents.

Edited by Rednose
  • Like 1

I've never grown with HIDs, but I gather it can sometimes be a difficult transition, so it's a good idea to be swatting up a bit. From what I gather nice warm temperatures are more important and it can change plants feeding habbits a bit, I'm sure someone else with more experience can expand on that. 

Power and spread wise your light is a good match for a 4x4, so that's a start. When you get the light it should have some par/pppfd diagrams/charts in the manual that will show you what intensity you'll get at different heights etc. For seedlings your looking for about 300-400 for veg 500-650, flower 750-1000 with about 850 being the sweet spot generally speaking. It's all about your environment as a whole though, to run optimal light intensity you need to have your other environmental parameters optimal as well. If you want to get all nerdy about it, you can also get some sort of sensor to measure your intensity with, the proper "PAR meters" are pretty expensive but you can use this hack to use a cheaper lux meter. 

You'll know if light stress is starting to set in if your upper most leaves start to canoe/curl and maybe get a bit discoloured at the same time, maybe some rust spots, then they'll gradually look more and more rank from there. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

@MindSoup how did you miss out on the hps experience? You haven't lived without the buzz of the thought of the house burning down.

@Rednose pretty much what mindsoup said though or use a meter if you want to get fancy. Your looking to aim for about 40 Watts per square foot during flower.

One thing that fucked me up the first run on leds was feed, I thought I was lacking cal mag but they were underfed because there is more usable light from the led so bare that in mind when you switch.

Good luck :smokin:

• Like 4

Just now, Hazeytones said:

@MindSoup how did you miss out on the hps experience? You haven't lived without the buzz of the thought of the house burning down.

I grew outdoors until I started having issues (2019) with my back and since moving Indoors I've always had small growing spaces that wouldn't accommodate an HID, I did think about giving a CMH a try over winter but it's crept up on me lol can't believe it's nearly the end of the year already.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

I’m in a tiny cabinet with a light that barely leaves an inch in that space, 200w light dialed down to just past halfway.. 

large.IMG_2591.jpeg

• Like 5

I run a hlg 350diablo r in a square meter but rectangle 1200 x 800 never maxed it out yet 315 is max it can handle science numbers wise , a friend worked it out and said that was around right for me . That’s why dimming is a great function 

• Like 5

I've got the Zeus (2.7) in a space not much bigger than a 1.2 x. 1.2 :)

I have a separate veg space,

so my plants are well established before going under the 600W.

I usually introduce plants at 50% and increase to 75% when I go 12/12.

I have also tried veging at 75% and upping to 100% at flip time,

but I have to leave a load of runoff in my garland trays in order to get the RH high enough.

If I have enough space between the plants and lights once the stretch phase is finished I might consider going up to 100%,

but generally it can sometimes be tricky keeping the environment favourable enough to run the light at full power :yep:

Get a grow diary on the go and folk will be able to help you get your grow on :D 

Here's my journey...

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4

On 12/13/2023 at 8:54 PM, MindSoup said:

I've never grown with HIDs, but I gather it can sometimes be a difficult transition, so it's a good idea to be swatting up a bit. From what I gather nice warm temperatures are more important and it can change plants feeding habbits a bit, I'm sure someone else with more experience can expand on that. 

Power and spread wise your light is a good match for a 4x4, so that's a start. When you get the light it should have some par/pppfd diagrams/charts in the manual that will show you what intensity you'll get at different heights etc. For seedlings your looking for about 300-400 for veg 500-650, flower 750-1000 with about 850 being the sweet spot generally speaking. It's all about your environment as a whole though, to run optimal light intensity you need to have your other environmental parameters optimal as well. If you want to get all nerdy about it, you can also get some sort of sensor to measure your intensity with, the proper "PAR meters" are pretty expensive but you can use this hack to use a cheaper lux meter. 

You'll know if light stress is starting to set in if your upper most leaves start to canoe/curl and maybe get a bit discoloured at the same time, maybe some rust spots, then they'll gradually look more and more rank from there. 

Thanks @MindSoup
Yes, swatting up a bit is probably a good tips as the HPS heat makes a lot of the ingredients in me current setup to balance the VPD.
Im a bit worried about getting problems with the re-calibration that they will go to switching light specter and the possible problems with stomata closing etc that can happen with change in VPD and light specter

Will check out the PAR meter hacks - I have not invested in one yet, so this will probability save me some dineros <3

• Like 1

Perfect size light for the space :v:

Do you have a controller,  either the lumatek light controller (not the 25, 50, 75, 100 dial it comes with) or an ac infiniy? That will let you "dial it in" more as I find the gap between the 4 increments quite big, it's nice to be able to adjust it to 80%, 85, and so on.

Light Meter will help you have the light closer at a lesser wattage but whack it as high as you can go and get it up to 100 and reap the benefits.

:chef:

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 7:03 PM, monkeypig said:

what @Shumroom  said basically.  I will add that a nice inkbird controller and a heat mat at the bottom would be recommended to replace that lovely HPS heat.

Ahh tahanks..how have I not seen the inkbird controller before. It looks perfect. I just bought a Mars Hydro fan package with humid and temp controller and it is great except it does not have the app/bluetooth. Heat map is probably a good idea when switching away from the HPS lights.:thumsup:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

Perfect size light for the space :v:

Do you have a controller,  either the lumatek light controller (not the 25, 50, 75, 100 dial it comes with) or an ac infiniy? That will let you "dial it in" more as I find the gap between the 4 increments quite big, it's nice to be able to adjust it to 80%, 85, and so on.

Light Meter will help you have the light closer at a lesser wattage but whack it as high as you can go and get it up to 100 and reap the benefits.

:chef:

@sweettooth my spending is starting to make some drama in the household here :unsure:, but yes..really want the Lumatec controller. Thanks for the tips sir!

Edited by Rednose
  • Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 4:06 PM, Shumroom said:

I've got the Zeus (2.7) in a space not much bigger than a 1.2 x. 1.2 :)

I have a separate veg space,

so my plants are well established before going under the 600W.

I usually introduce plants at 50% and increase to 75% when I go 12/12.

I have also tried veging at 75% and upping to 100% at flip time,

but I have to leave a load of runoff in my garland trays in order to get the RH high enough.

If I have enough space between the plants and lights once the stretch phase is finished I might consider going up to 100%,

but generally it can sometimes be tricky keeping the environment favourable enough to run the light at full power :yep:

Get a grow diary on the go and folk will be able to help you get your grow on :D 

Here's my journey...

Atb

:yinyang:

@Shumroom This is super great! You have the same light and have been switcing in flower from HPS to LED. Thanks a lot for sharing and making such a proper diary.
I will have to study the results you have after the switch to the Zeus. Very exiting!

Thanks for the diming tips..the Zeus is on the way now and my current grow with Wedding Cake and Cheese & Chong is 6 days into flower with HPS.
I will consider to make a diary, but since Im already into flower it will be missing the start. But then again, the switch experience is worth sharing

BTW I also have a separate veg room / mothers lounge tent like you and HomeBox here as well.

:yahoo:

• Like 1