120cm2 heamat

screrg

Hi all,

I'm looking to see if anyone knows where to get one of these. Had a good gogle and most of the heatmats are tiny but found a 50cm x122cm on amazon so will get 2 of these if needs be but would prefer one big one to cut down on the amount of plugs. Anyone know anywhere? I managed to get a 90cm2 for my dr90 ages ago but can't remember where from. From memory they didn't do 120cm2 ones either.Any help much appreciated.

Creating X amount of heat with electricity costs exactly the same regardless of the size of the heater. A more powerful heater will draw more watts, but it will run for less time overall to maintain the same temperature so it all balances out.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

The rooit thermostats are rated for 1kw so you can plug 2 large mats into it using an adaptor. That's what I do anyway. Just keep the two mats the same size. 

• Like 1

I got 200w 1m2 underfloor heating under porcelain tiles in my 1.2m tent. Sitting on Kingspan. 50mm
Thermostat set at 30c where pots meet the saucer. 

They love it. I'd probably be fine with 150w in the same space but I went overkill.  (cold garage)

Focusing the energy on the roots means the wasted heat maintains grow room temps and minimal extra heating is required. 

:yinyang:

Edited by Axiom
  • Like 3

Just now, Axiom said:

1m2 underfloor heating

I seen these for sale at bathroom places online, is it just a case of wiring a plug onto the end? Some places only charge about 35 quid so cheaper than heatmats from growshops/garden centres

• Like 4

@KC Yup I've got two side by side both plugged into one inkbird thermostats with two sockets.  

You have to consider water + electricity don't mix well and the plastic sheath can melt in cold / hot fluctuations.

Best to do the whole screed thing or sand... but I didn't bother and it's been going strong for over a year now. 

• Like 2

150W/m Underfloor heating kit with Kids play sand to a depth of around 2cm.

Then some laminated floor on top of the sand.

Finally a couple of garland trays on top to finish off :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

I'm in a bedroom with radiator on and another tent with heatmat/lights/both of them will have tube heaters in the intake ducting so think the underfloor heating may be a bit overkill. The ultra flat heaters said they were for hanging but assume that they can be used on the deck as well? One I saw was 50cmx120cm so would need 2 to keep the heat in the space even. Yous reckon that is the way to go?

If it's just supplementary to keep your roots warm then you could just use an electric blanket. Some people say they're dangerous, but personally I think a good quality one should be perfectly safe. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

If it's just supplementary to keep your roots warm then you could just use an electric blanket. Some people say they're dangerous, but personally I think a good quality one should be perfectly safe. 

Nice one. I've got a leccy pet blanket in the cupboard in my room for seedlings and that's been fine for a few year now. With the importance of root temps I 'm tempted to go for 2 50x120 proper heatmats running under the four I've got in the tent atm. I've got a 90cm2 heatmat in there atm but am taking that out to put under a single plant in the second ttent as I'm going to try and grow a monster. I'm working on it atm and gonna start a diary next MMonday when I'm off and have a bit of time. They are all healthy for now but are getting near flower so want everything spot on for that.

One option: google "Romberg Skinny heat mat". If you want to. 

They're European but you can get them in the UK and use an adaptor plug. Not cheap, but I waited and got mine half price last Black Friday sale, I think it was. My God, have I only been doing this for a year???? lollollollol Wow

Anyway, they do 115 x 115cm mat, 200w or thereabouts. I went for three of the 75 x 75cm mates for my 1.2 x 2.4 tent. I just have to remember to keep the pots mostly on the 75cm strip down the middle of the tent. They're sitting on 30mm insulation board with the tent liner on top, attached to an Inkbird. Also only 95w each, so a little cheaper to run than two of the 200w mats. I've also got a couple of the 55x55cm in use in other tents. In my 90x90 tent, the 55cm mat does a fine job. 

How long they'll last, I can't say. I'm happy so far.

Edited by Gaijin
I can't remember why I clicked "edit" lol
  • Like 3

I can't see anything beating the underfloor heating kits for the money, if it's a case of banging a plug on and pluggin it into a thermostat. Whichever you use though make sure it's covered with a tray, they work much better when covered up. The nice thing about the large ones from the grow shop is they're the correct size for the garland trays.

• Like 2