Shed Grow Insulation

money

If you was going to build a shed for growing, what type of insulation would you go for? I was thinking 100mm kingspan at first, but then I was thinking the Knauf loft-roll (that shit that makes your eyes itch). The main concern of the insulation is for not being spotted by helicopters FLIR camera.

• Like 1

@money  if money is nt a problem yes , or there are other similar products , shop around , handy if you some one in the trade with a account to get the best discount

also get the foil tape to cover the joints an corners , do the floor an the roof , :mellow: nice little project m8

25 minutes ago, money said:

The main concern of the insulation is for not being spotted by drones FLIR camera.

Fixed that for you :yep:

You'll probably want the insulation for heat retention more than stealth tbf , assuming yer running leds that is.

:yinyang:

• Like 2

If money isn't a problem then I'd go for a multi layer type insulation like tlx gold or super quilt. It's way less faf to fit, and one layer (half inch) is equivalent to like 3 inches of kingpsan or something crazy. 

E2A if money is an issue then just get a paper suit on and get that pink bats/rockwool in there. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

I did 50mm Rockwool and I'm hoping for the best. Insulation in the whole shed, not just the grow space, will take the hot/cold edge off the incoming air is my thought.

Edited by Clubs
  • Like 1

I did mine in 50mm pir bought cheap on face ache market place and then lined it with thermowrap, I was gonna line it in ply, but the wrap was cheaper, provides more insulation and just staples up :yep:

If you are confident in your ability to fit the Kingspan / Celotex correctly then use 100mm and seal it all up etc really tight. If not then use the "Slab" type wool insulation.

Once its fitted I'd line it with a 9-11mm OSB on top of the insulation. I'd then line it with 9.5mm drywall to the OSB for a smooth easy to paint finish and the extra insulation. That should keep the warm in enough to hide anything in winter as far as the actual "Roof area" of the shed goes.

All this aside though a thermal image camera will more likely pick up the warm air being extracted outside the shed rather than the actual shed itself because a thermal camera will show the air moving. If it were me I'd be much more concerned with where and how I was going to extract the warm air. Yes the police not letting people grow their own Cannabis is morally wrong, but that doesn't make them stupid, anyone looking for such things will know as much about how it all works as you or I. So what I do is put myself in their shoes, pretend I'm looking for me, then I cover all the bases.

Edited by GreenVision
  • Like 3

On 09/12/2023 at 9:33 AM, GreenVision said:

All this aside though a thermal image camera will more likely pick up the warm air being extracted outside the shed rather than the actual shed itself because a thermal camera will show the air moving.

Could this air be used to heat a greenhouse? Would the humidity of the air be an issue? 

1 hour ago, Chick0ndipper said:

Would the humidity of the air be an issue? 

Big time - i have it dripping from the ceiling and am wiping it down every time i go in.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chick0ndipper said:

Could this air be used to heat a greenhouse? Would the humidity of the air be an issue?

Depending how far the shed is from your house, you could exhaust into the house itself (keep the downstairs loo toasty warm)?

Again, depending how close the house is, Perhaps exhaust into the chimney or another flue of some type which naturally exhausts hot air.

Don't get too carried away or hung up with worrying about choppers etc.

For them to go from spotting a heat source to actually taking your door off is a long stretch.

They need other evidence or the word of an informer to get to that point.

Plenty of man caves in sheds, especially since covid lock-down and they haven't the time or money to

go charging around to every single one just in case.

I've been extracting from the shed straight out through a 12" vent for best part of 4 years, helicopters go over

regularly, both civillian and military, without a flicker of interest, neighbours are also pretty close but the

fan is almost silent and there's no smell escaping...stick to no tell, smell or sell and you'll be fine...:yep:

• Like 3

Ive got a 1.2m tent in a kind of outbuilding at the moment - the roof is pretty much just plywood covered in asphalt - when there was some frost recently there was frost on it so i really wouldnt be worried about being spotted re heat sources.

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

Don't get too carried away or hung up with worrying about choppers etc.

For them to go from spotting a heat source to actually taking your door off is a long stretch.

They need other evidence or the word of an informer to get to that point.

I believe that if they were out using the choppers and flir cameras for a missing person and they spotted your grow exhaust, they are not legally allowed to investigate. Privacy laws I think :yep:

• Like 1