Watering Schedule Out of Town

Amnesialocal

A few years back my plants spent about a week in total darkness with no extraction because my circuit breaker tripped and the guy "looking after" my plants didn't notice lol. Still came in and watered them for me but didn't wander why the whole room was silent none of my lights were on. Nobody's fault but my own, but at the time it was the only option.

I can see a good business venture in legal countries, grow sitters, like dog sitters, you'd have an app with sitters bios and feedback ratings etc, swap houses with someone in a different area/country and look after each others grows while you're on holiday type of thing lol

• Like 2

On 08/12/2023 at 3:42 PM, yan said:

Hi @Absurdist, I wonder if you can help. I was looking recently at the Easy2Go as an option for a couple of days over Christmas period when I won’t be around. It says on their website that ‘Only when the plants have consumed the water in the tray will the Easy2Go refill the tray with a fresh supply’. Also they say to 

Have you used it with a gravel bed? 

I've developed my own unorthodox method.

I made wooden frames about 3 or 4 cm high and covered them with capillary matting. The frames sit in a greenhouse tray. The plants go on top in fabric pots, so they're never sitting in the water.

• Like 2

Thanks @Absurdist I’ll try something with capillary matting as I have some here already. It’s only going to be for a couple of days so I could probably do without the Easy2Go for now and just sort something out with the greenhouse tray and matting. 

On 07/12/2023 at 3:48 PM, Absurdist said:

Set up an auto system. Easy2Go and Blumat are popular options. 

I have been away for more than two weeks without issue, leaving the watering to my Easy2Go  and a 100 litre reservoir.

I started a very similar thread a few days ago them easy 2 go things look perfect for covering a week od so away!!

Are they ok running nutes or water only?

2 hours ago, Eldo said:

Are they ok running nutes or water only?

Yes ok for nutes too according to the set up guide I was reading. 

• Like 1

Why only for 1 week?

Easy2go works as autopot, so theoretically it could be used all the way through the growing stages, isn't?

Also what about nutes?

Although the 9mm pipe allow it, organic fertiliser in water are not decomposing over time?( Couple Of days)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Absurdist said:

I've developed my own unorthodox method.

I made wooden frames about 3 or 4 cm high and covered them with capillary matting. The frames sit in a greenhouse tray. The plants go on top in fabric pots, so they're never sitting in the water.

So you allow the plant to absorbe via the capillary mat and not directly in the tray?

But is not.possible to regulate the flow of water ?

Also: are you using it all the way through all the grow or just when you are away?

What about nutes? ( Biobizz I guess is not recommended)

Just now, Amnesialocal said:

Also: are you using it all the way through all the grow or just when you are away?

What about nutes? ( Biobizz I guess is not recommended)

All the way using Chempak nutes. Only issue is when the reservoir freezes but that's only once or twice a year.

Just now, Absurdist said:

All the way using Chempak nutes. Only issue is when the reservoir freezes but that's only once or twice a year.

Thanks absurdist.

Can you then clarify further why have you modified the tray adding the frame? Did you had problem with overwatering due to the system?

Also have you never had those scenarios where you have smaller plants in the same tent and you put then with a pedestal? Is there s trick to allow them to take water? ( A rope pending and absorbing water ...don't know)

T

20 minutes ago, Amnesialocal said:

Why only for 1 week?

Easy2go works as autopot, so theoretically it could be used all the way through the growing stages, isn't?

Also what about nutes?

Although the 9mm pipe allow it, organic fertiliser in water are not decomposing over time?( Couple Of days)

Trying to work both those things out now tbh, I been quite happy hand watering organicaly up until now. 

Now with a week away planned and also a very low scrog making watering back pots difficult I'm thinking just flooding a tray would be easiest.

Hopefully I can get most the feed required into soil when potting up into finals then just minimal terra Flores as and when needed

the frame is to keep the roots out the water, so they're not sitting in standing water. 

I guess you could drape capillary matting over a pedestal and that would work, though I've never done so.

Anyone got the dimensions for the easy to grow reservoir? I think I'm going to grab one and then steal @Absurdists idea for mothers. Just need to make sure I have room for the res. 

E2A scratch that I see the one that comes with the kit is tiny lol. I'll use my existing one and just get some hose and an aquavalve

Edited by MindSoup

On 08/12/2023 at 3:42 PM, yan said:

Hi @Absurdist, I wonder if you can help. I was looking recently at the Easy2Go as an option for a couple of days over Christmas period when I won’t be around. It says on their website that ‘Only when the plants have consumed the water in the tray will the Easy2Go refill the tray with a fresh supply’. Also they say to use a gravel bed for smaller pots.

Have you used it with a gravel bed? I’m struggling to see how the plants will consume all the water in the tray if using gravel. It would make sense to me how the gravel situation would work if the valve just maintained the 20mm water level, but they specifically say about all the water being consumed before refilling. 

Autopot recommend clay pebbles because they wick water up to the medium. I didn't get the wet/dry cycle either, rather constant saturation that led to severe overwatering.  The pots actually sit below the water line so it's a recipe for disaster. That's my experience anyway. 

Edited by Clubs
  • Like 1