anybody have experience with shogun coco

RUFUS HOUND

bit of a strange one - first grow in coco, I got the nutes and had a trial run to see what the EC/ ph was in 1 litre of my tap water.

need to copy and paste info from my "crossing over the the coco side" thread

1L Tap water 

Ec 375

TDS 172ppm

pH 8.4

1L Tap+ 1ml coco A 

EC 781

TDS 380ppm

pH 8.2

1L Tap+coco A+ coco B

EC 1085

TDS 535ppm

pH 7.9 

anyway the up shot is, the shogun didnt seem to be dropping the pH of my tap water by much,  so I tested the coco A straight out of the bottle - and its pH was 6.9 supposed to be 5.5 to 6.5

I tested some vinegar and lime juice and it appears my ph meter is out 

malt vinegar ph 

Lime juice

Lemon juice 

Which seems strange as the coco A is the grow part 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

19 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

Which seems strange as the coco A is the grow part 

What? Shogun is an A&B nutrient thats used through grow and bloom, you're supposed to use them both together in equal amounts at all stages of growth, adjusting the dilution as the plants grow.

20 minutes ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

so I tested the coco A straight out of the bottle - and its pH was 6.9 supposed to be 5.5 to 6.5

I think you're misunderstanding the literature mate. The nutrients don't neccesarily adjust the pH for you, that 5.5 - 6.5 is the target pH you're supposed to set it to after you've added all your nutrients, using pH down (phosphoric acid).

But until you've tested, calibrated and potentially replaced your pH pen, all of this pH stuff is meaningless because you can't even realiably read it. You need to get some pH buffer 4 and 7, test and calibrate your pH pen, and if it still reads wrong, replace the pH pen.

• Like 4

@GSZZ Cheers for the reply, much appreciated!

Its okay, I  know they are a 2 part feed all the way through, I was just saying, looking at the npk of A at  3.9-0-0, its like a grow feed and the B is like bloom,  npk wise anyway

I was thinking the ph on the bottle was the actual ph range of the nutes - my mistake, lesson learned. :notworthy:

Ive got some packets of buffer but dont have any distilled water ... yet

I was looking for a quick fix, to check of a known ph and lemon lime vinegar were handy 

Coco is coco wether it comes in a sack or a brick....its how ew manage it is what counts not the name on the bag.....pound shop coco is as good as cann pro :yep:  it's all about reading the plant and I've said this for 20 years plus :sleep1:

• Like 1

I had another member say they would have expected the ph of A to be lower as they usually make it with nitric acid

after making my own distilled water, I calibrated the ph meter with the buffers provided and all was well with the meter - guess the readings were correct but as said, I will need to correct it with ph down anyway.

while I was at it I tested my distilled water ph 7.02 (pretty good) considering it was a DIY kitchen project  lol 

my tap was 8.4 after being left overnight in an open container.

hopefully my ph down will arrive soon

also got some xtreme mykos on order for the roots - has some rave reviews but will see what happens 

Edited by RUFUS HOUND

Just now, RUFUS HOUND said:

after making my own distilled water, I calibrated the ph meter with the buffers provided and all was well with the meter - guess the readings were correct but as said, I will need to correct it with ph down anyway.

while I was at it I tested my distilled water ph 7.02 (pretty good) considering it was a DIY kitchen project  lol 

my tap was 8.4 after being left overnight in an open container.

hopefully my ph down will arrive soon

also got some xtreme mykos for the roots - has some rave reviews but will see what happens 

Look here butty fuk all the faffing about....with coco get ya water tepid from the hot and cold taps :yep: add your ferts and check the CF....then check the PH level.....then adjust the PH to 6.0 .......that's all ya need to do..... CF ...first.....PH last then water / feed the dope accordingly little often when they young then as the dope fills pots daily with a tad of run off :yep:

cheers mate, not sure about the butty fuk though, Its a diary, just adding a bit interest 

I know its piiss easy for you, as youve done it all before but Ive never used coco so I dont want to drop any blobs early doors

cant see anything wrong with testing my ph meter is reading right, isnt ph the most important thing in coco.

I'll calm the fuck down once I get some seeds in this coco stuff 

cheers mate, not sure about the butty fuk though, Its a diary, just adding a bit interest 

I know its piiss easy for you, as youve done it all before but Ive never used coco so I dont want to drop any blobs early doors

cant see anything wrong with testing my ph meter is reading right, isnt ph the most important thing in coco.

I'll calm the fuck down once I get some seeds in this coco stuff 

Fuk ya meter off and get a liquid test kit that way you never go wrong......ew can get a kit that does .2 calibration for a fiver on shitbay lol  BTW ......PH  is a big player growing dope.:yep:  i been saying this 20 odd years lol  wether it's coco / compost/ hydro.....PH  really needs to be understood :magic:

will take a look - always nice to check one against each other, I was going to get another ph pen but I will give this a go

sorry cant like or name link @thekingofobsolete 

will take a look - always nice to check one against each other, I was going to get another ph pen but I will give this a go

sorry cant like or name link @thekingofobsolete 

Aye don't bother with gadgets bach essential ph liquid kit will serve ew bang on time after time :yep: Trust me I've tried the lot in my career lol  joolz most probably got me on the ban list no biggy :yep:   just listen and learn :hippy:

is it by vitalink ?

nah, your not banned its coz im on chrome - some things dont work right , been going on for years I have to use safari to upload pics, give likes etc and its dog shit