Best Outdoor Strains to Make Cobs

Clean Green

The origin of cannabis cobs is Malawi where their famous Malawi Gold land race sativa buds would be wrapped in corn husks or banana bark, bound tightly and fermented in goat shit under their goat pens for months.  They are world renowned for their potency and near psychedelic effects. I've been experimenting making a few following Tangwena's methods (easy to find online) using a vacuum sealer machine and have had some good results so far, last year I made a small Tangie cob and a Neville's Haze cob from a bumper auto harvest with the good summer we had.  This year, I've used photo periods making one  Manitoba Madness, one Mighty Gold and one Lemon Drizzle cob (all RGSC) which are now being long stored in stainless steel cigar tubes. They are lovely, though I'm wondering what outdoor options there would be for lat 54-55 strains that would finish in time but be very sativa leaning. One thought is biddy early which I grew in around 2016 and was very satty leaning and did finish by the end of October. Any ideas would be great 

• Like 1

Have a look at ace seeds auto Malawi X nl

The second phenotype develops in flowering an almost pure sativa expression (so it usually needs about 10 weeks of flowering), reaching big sizes and producing a more open and separate branching from the main trunk, allowing the autoflowering growers to experience with very African sativa phenotypes, quite rare in current autoflowering strains.

^^^ copied n pasted from there website

Think the most sativa that will finish at your latitude will also have some rudelaris in it

• Like 1

Thank you @Eldo They look a good contender and I didn't know Ace did an auto.  I know their photo period strains are favoured by those making cobs so may well look to give a five pack of these a try next summer. 

• Like 1

Yeah been tagging along with it and there is a stack of knowledge in there Eldo.  Discovering cobs has really added a whole new dimension to my love of this herb. They change and then lock in a different high, get better with age,  reduce storage space needs, work through the vape and taste great either vaped or chewed.  It would be good to see a few made from GG buds on the boards if anyone's keen on '24

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/12/2023 at 4:51 PM, Clean Green said:

The origin of cannabis cobs is Malawi where their famous Malawi Gold land race sativa buds would be wrapped in corn husks or banana bark, bound tightly and fermented in goat shit under their goat pens for months.  They are world renowned for their potency and near psychedelic effects. I've been experimenting making a few following Tangwena's methods (easy to find online) using a vacuum sealer machine and have had some good results so far, last year I made a small Tangie cob and a Neville's Haze cob from a bumper auto harvest with the good summer we had.  This year, I've used photo periods making one  Manitoba Madness, one Mighty Gold and one Lemon Drizzle cob (all RGSC) which are now being long stored in stainless steel cigar tubes. They are lovely, though I'm wondering what outdoor options there would be for lat 54-55 strains that would finish in time but be very sativa leaning. One thought is biddy early which I grew in around 2016 and was very satty leaning and did finish by the end of October. Any ideas would be great 

I grew Cinderella 99 last year that was very sat leaning. Was lovely

I seen those cobs. Irranazig or summin on insta did a decent article on them. They look like milk chocolate. So nice

At your lat mate and from 1st hand experience of GG in the surrounding Glasgow area & weather traits ... your in for a challenge mucker.

My first thoughts would be to speak with ovr very own Brock & Slim.       

Can you do light dep ?     even a light dep scrog just to keep height down.

I will go through some old note books ,  will take a while as need the big sherlock glass ,  see what i can find that may help you :yep:

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 1

Cheers all. No light dep for me @OldFord unfortunately due to family situation so am purely guerilla each summer. My mighty gold cob from last year is so good, it makes me wonder what semi auto or even early photo strains might work.  I took a 2mm slice last night and ground it up and the smell off that now after curing since October is delectable! Also the stainless steel cigar tubes seem like they seal very well even though they just push together. The Ace autos are currently looking a good option for some strong Malawian genetics and also their likely slightly later finish suit my plans well for a mid August harvest. I have a bit of indoor organic Cindy99 @ocb and agree that it would indeed make a nice cob, just finding something early and bomb proof enough. If anyone is thinking of trying cob making, I can highly recommend it.  It's taken my enjoyment of the plant to whole new level.  Also medicinally I'm finding the pain reduction to productivity and functionality ratio is excellent for most cobs I've tried so far so a massive win on that front too. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Clean Green said:

I have a bit of indoor organic Cindy99 @ocb and agree that it would indeed make a nice cob, just finding something early and bomb proof enough.

The cindy I grew was the rgsc freebie seeds. They were chopped mid October but didnt have a spec of rot on them tbf. They looked more akin to the plants you see by the field in the Himalayas than anything I've done outside before. Just one cola with a few short branches. Leaves pencil thin and quite narrow buds that didnt look that mature. But plenty of orange hairs and a very heady, almost trippy high. Very strong!.. I grew that auto Neville's haze from ace seeds a few years back. I didnt do the best job on her but I would imagine that they would make a good cobb. Only downside was I don't recall her being a big resin producer. Irrazinig on insta was the place I first saw the cobb method documented. He has recently started selling landrace seeds from that exact part of the world that he expects would harvest early-mid October, and would have good mould resistance I reckon. If you havent already, go and check the page. At best it could be a ticket to produce an authentic cobb with authentic strains.. at worst it's an amazing page with really interesting information. Peace

• Like 3