Holiday self watering

Eldo

20 hours ago, Eldo said:

Will have a look  @Thai Stick mate cheers, can the pumps be set to pump a certain amount of water or just for a duration of time?

I have the pumps go full power and I adjust the timer to suit.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2023 at 10:29 PM, Thai Stick said:

Dont forget an anti-siphon air valve or bit of thin pipe at the highest point as it leaves the water tank that goes back into the tank.

Stop you from emptying the whole thing after the first watering...

been there...done that.....was a pain to clean up lol

Just trying to get by head round the basic concept but have no idea about anti siphon air valve bit?

For the rest of it is it just a case of submersible aqua pump 300 litre an hour and plugging that into a timer set for like 2 mins every other day...or there abouts

How load are the pumps?

How long will plain water stay ok in the tank??

So imagine the pipe comes out the top of the tank.

You add a short length of dripper pipe at the highest point going back into the tank that will shoot the water back in to the tank.

When the pump switches off, air will enter the main pipe and thus will stop the siphon effect.

A second small pump to circulate the water within the tank will be enough to keep it fresh.

If using an air stone to oxygenate water, run it on a seperate timer to switch on 5-10 mins before irrigation events.

Personally i stopped using air stones that are on continuously as they kept raising my ph with salty nutes and i couldnt be arsed with setting up the timers. lol

Im a few thousand miles away from my grow right now so cant snap up a pic.

• Like 3

Just to update think I'm going to go with an easy2go kit. Seen this on another thread it basically floods a tray 20mm deep with water and only once water has gone does it flood back to 20mm

Will still try and get most the plants food organically into the pots but will just feed non organics if reguired. Was looking at terra Flores is this a decent base flower feed that can replace my bio bloom?

Going to to a bit more research on the whole flooding a tray thing and weather plants take up food already in the soil the same way as when watered from top as I might do this for the duration of the grow

Just now, Eldo said:

Just to update think I'm going to go with an easy2go kit. Seen this on another thread it basically floods a tray 20mm deep with water and only once water has gone does it flood back to 20mm

In soil that could very quickly go tits up and saturate the soil 

• Like 1

@Black Shadow  I should have added pots will have an inch or 2 of clay pebels at the bottom of the pots....that should stop the roots sitting in water right?

Edited by Eldo

On 03/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, Eldo said:

Just trying to get by head round the basic concept but have no idea about anti siphon air valve bit?

For the rest of it is it just a case of submersible aqua pump 300 litre an hour and plugging that into a timer set for like 2 mins every other day...or there abouts

How load are the pumps?

How long will plain water stay ok in the tank??

anti syphon see how on the feed up I have a tap inside the reservoir this acts as an anti syphon. 

you could literally just pop a hole in the feed line up that is still within the reservoir. 

large.854F16DA-FFA1-4DEC-A4F0-CDFA432D45D5.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eldo said:

@JonDaMon cheers, will I also need one of those airstone things or similar for inside the res?

personally I don’t use an air stone I just use a wavemaker for aquariums to mix and agitate my reservoir. 

• Like 1