Help With Hash Curing

John'sMidnightGarden

Hi all

It's hashing time for me, I know how it'll go - after some advice please.

I do it via freezer / Trim Bin.  Roll it with a bottle of boiled water.  It comes out lovely, dark and sticky and smelling gorgeous.  I roll it into a ball, as a sausage or as a flat round disc curled into a cylinder / cigar.

Give it a month to cure, it become dry, crumbles to dust i.e. not squidgey and delicious.  Not as nice as it started.

Any ideas or experiences?  This could be the ideal result, I don't know for sure but I really doubt it.

Thanks!

Once it’s formed into a ball try wrapping it in some cellophane as tight as possible and seal it for the cure.

Also a drop of water should help bring the powder back to a solid mass then work it for a little in your hands so it becomes soft and malleable then wrap it for a cure. 
As you are using a trim bin that is 150 microns iirc you will get some plant material this may be why it’s turning to dust again after a dry.

:yinyang:

Visual example…..

large.IMGP7954.jpg

• Like 8

What @lildaveham said. Make it into a ball, wrap tightly in cellophane and put somewhere cool and dark for another couple of months. Honestly, the extra time makes such a difference (in my limited experience). The longer you leave, the stickier anymore cohesive the ball should become. Something happens during the cure, whereby the resin actually begins to eat/break down some of the plant material and that's why it gets better over time. At least that's what Frenchy said :)

• Like 1

Thanks guys!  Appreciate it.
Yeah it's Trim Bin, I avoid running a bag over it twice because of the plant material, but can imagine some gets through the first time too.  I will try the cellophane method thanks, makes so much sense - keep it "moister" than even a small jar would.  Seen people do that and it never clicked that it's part of the process.
Longest cure so far is a month I think, so will try longer too.

Might look into better screens, I make BHO after screening it but to be honest it's not a nice feeling to me, messy too.  Nice gripe to have though hey!  Just putting it in the worm bin or as mulch while I know there's goodies in it still feels a bit wasteful.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I've only ever used a single silk-screen from hobby craft , not sure on the mesh size tbh but it gave me some decent hash so that's enough for me really. Always fancied the whole bubble hash/washing machine thing but I don't ever have enough material to make it worthwhile. I'd like to try BHO at some stage though, I reckon it might be the easiest way to extract everything that's left in the trim I still have.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hashslag said:

I've only ever used a single silk-screen from hobby craft , not sure on the mesh size tbh but it gave me some decent hash so that's enough for me really. Always fancied the whole bubble hash/washing machine thing but I don't ever have enough material to make it worthwhile. I'd like to try BHO at some stage though, I reckon it might be the easiest way to extract everything that's left in the trim I still have.

Mate BHO is ridiculous easy, I use a stainless coffee jug, always good deals on Newport gas too.  Was a novelty for me, bad connections for me so oil was something my mates uncle had in Spain about 25 years ago, I'd never seen it.  Turns out some extracts aren't for me - feels grubby / mongy without any good part (for me).  Bubble stuff I've looked at but rar... seems aggro.  Never imagined I'd take all this for granted!  But yeah, better dry screen seems the way forward, thanks for the help!

Personally I like my crumble blond hash more then squidgy ,it's both bubble mix from 25 to 90, rest I throw away as it looks green. Seems to me it's down to how much you work it with bottle and what Temps and pressure you achieve,mind am a hash noob.

Sq

large.20231010_033717.jpg.e23b4c76ad5c6alarge.20231010_033803.jpg.4ab5a6d20b6fe8

Edited by Herbal Kint
  • Like 6

@John'sMidnightGarden take a look at a company called skunk sifters they do some decent screen sets dude..pricey but all hand made and top quality..a good investment though if your into your hash and sift :yep:

There's a set a the start of this diary if you want to take a look, can't find the pics of mine. He recommended them to me after I spotted them, deffo worth paying a little bit extra and if looked after will last for years :yinyang: 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/11/2023 at 11:52 PM, Hashslag said:

(can't get rid of the quote above)

Thanks guys sorry for delay, bit disastrous this end.  Will be checking those screens out.  That Hash looks lovely and far better than my efforts - mine's more hard shiny toffee than your caramel goodness there Herbal Kint.