2- pot RDWC set up

MrSlatersParrot

Hi

I've been looking around for a small RDWC system to trial (or to copy!) has anyone come across Growzilla? They're based in Italy, they  have  quite a tidy 2-pot setup currently for 149 euros. I believe we're not allowed to post external links here, but they're easy to find.

Anyone with more experience got an opinion?

Thanks

As always, just my opinion here, but if your only looking to use 2 post I'd make a 2 bucket basic DWC set. They are exactly the same as RDWC just without the circulation. Plus the basic DWC buckets will use one less pump so less on the electricity and noise.

You can get a really good quality twin air pump for £15, pair of large buckets for £10, pair of air stones for almost nothing, pair of nets for maybe £5. You would be up and running for less than £50 all in. At least this way if it turns out the Hydro doesn't agree with you its only a £50 loss over whatever a full DWC system costs.

That aside, I know the system your talking about, as far I know there are very few, if any, other 2 pot systems out there. The reason being is that the RDWC has to use that undercurrent / circulation to be any different from a absic DWC. I'm not too sure the 2 pot system would do it??

But even then I'd imagine that for another £10 water pump and 1 extra bucket plus a few PVC pipes, fittings, sealent etc etc you would only have to add maybe £30 to the price tag of a 2 pot DWC build and you would have thte Growzilla system anyway.

However... The system looks really well put together, like the fact they went with white to help reflect the light and keep res temps down, so I wouldn't blame you for just wanting to buy a system in. Ironically I'm in the same position, I'll be getting a new system in my loft groom in the next couple of months. I know I could save £100's if not more if I built it, but I want a 10 pot system, which is 10 pots that I could mess up sealing and cause 200 litres of water to come through the ceiling. I'll be getting one from Alien hydro. So I do understand the desire to buy a pre made over a build, but I would really consider giving the DWC buckets a go. I did a really good grow with the LA Gelato and San Bacio Gelato in 10 DWC buckets as I'd retired my Alien 8 pot RDWC the grow before. Really nice results and the setup cost me 1/4 of what it would have cost in an RDWC system. Most grow shops sell the buckets and nets etc. Again though if you do go for a two pot RDWC they look sollid to me, I'd research the company a little, make sure they're legit etc before buying, but on the pics and description they system looks well OK to me.

• Like 3

Thanks again @GreenVision for a really informative reply!

You're right I certainly could make a similar setup, but as you say I was tempted by the ease of just buying it in and saving the faff. OTOH the instructions they've posted on the website show all the parts and how to put it together, specs for the pumps and so on so it's almost a manual on how to build a system of your own!

I do like the idea of RDWC better, with a separate reservoir of nutrient being pumped round all (or both!) the pots so all are getting the same stuff, I think 2 pots would work as long as I make a feed and return circuit. Also, I guess it's easier when doing regular changes of the nutrient solution - with a separate reservoir it must be possible to pump the old solution out when the time comes. It must be awkward changing it with DWC as you'd have to take the plants out and tip the solution out, I suppose.

This has made me do more looking about and I've found dutch pots, which is pretty much what I was thinking of originally when I started considering hydroponics.

I think I might trial a little dutch pot type system next to my normal compost grow, and spend some time making a 2- pot RDWC system myself for the next grow after that. If I keep everything else the same as possible it should give me a good clue as to what works best for me.

But a couple of things I need to check before I start:

I prob don't want bits of compost in the nutrient, so I suppose I should start the seeds off in rockwool cubes before putting them in any kind of hydro system?

I hear people talking about 'CalMag' I've never come across this before with other plants, nor had any problems with compost-grown plants. I live somewhere with hard water - Calcium is 110 mg/l, no mention of Mg content in the water authority's report, but conductivity is 511 μS/cm. Is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Just now, MrSlatersParrot said:

as you'd have to take the plants out and tip the solution out, I suppose

100% mate, it can be an arse ache. I had a little pump and a spare bucket, I just attached somehose to the little pump and slid the hose down into the bucket by lifting the lid a little with setup. But your right it really is so much easier haveing a header pot to empty the water from in the RDWC.

What you've said about the bits in the res / water etc, in RDWC you can use a 4" cube, even from seed, so zero substrate in the water, the clay pepples have the same effect, but no matter how much you wash them out the do drop a very tiny amount of the dust in there, but by the time the crop is in bloom you wont have that issue.

Its another problem I have with systems like the wilma, using hydro methods with coco etc, its just asking fro troubles you dont need, I use coco myself, but I wouldn't use it in a recirculating system, its just feels backwards to me. I know it works great for some and I wouldn't say dont use it. Just in my personal experience with them they are just as messy and hands on as having a few pots of coco and hand watering. I have a few of my clones in ATM which are in coco, I love the stuff, but again not keen on Hydro systems that use a medium.

On the Cal Mag, if you go LED you may benefit from having a small bottle on hand. Its "Said" that LED lighting can make plants use a little more of certain elements than HID. True or not, have no idea. But in full on hydro, if your going to go full on, and use RO water to gain full control of your plants nutrients you will need some Cal Mag. The RO will give you a water EC of 0.0, like a blank canvas, then you have to make the water back up to a reasonable EC like 0.7 (depending on plants stage) with your nutrients. Adding about 0.1 EC of Cal Mag will help your crop not get any defs and uptake the other elements better.

If your not too interested in the RO then knowing your waters hardness will help you decide on nutrients and if to add Cal Mag. If your below 0.5 then again it would be handy to have to hand either way.

The "Dutch pots", not really sure of thier exact name, but I've seen them. They're basically a Wilma but instead of the res being underneath its an NFT style tabletop with a seperate res by the looks of things. One of my main HATES when I used the 4 pot wilma was the height! Before you have even put a seed or clone in them they stand about 60cm of the ground! Having a res underneath those big pots means half your growing height is gone before you've started, and with LED lighting it's be even more of a challenge.

Again if it were me though I'd avoid the coco in those types of systems, Clay pebbles or full on rockwool / mapito would be my choice in that particular system. But once again, you would have all the work of a hydro system like EC, PH, balance etc etc but still have a pair of pots full of medium. For me its just easier to go full hydro.

• Like 3

Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work and I have this tendency to nod off in the evenings after dinner! Age related I'm sure :yawn:

Thanks again for your reply.

Yeah using coco in a recirculating system seems like an odd choice, wasn't planning to go there. Clay pebbles seem like a good idea to me, inert but with lots of air spaces.

Was hoping to avoid using RO water, but I suppose I may be led there in the end. I've always thought keep it simple was a good plan!

Yes of course, the reservoir for the Dutch pots will lose me some height, if I'm fairly organised (hah!) that should be manageable, I'll have to see what I can get away with. Having a separate res does at least mean it can be outside the plants' environment and kept a bit cooler.

I've got lots of stuff to order up now, not least pH and EC meters and some nutrients. The seeds have arrived so lets get on with it!

Cheers dude.

Edited by MrSlatersParrot
remove stuff
  • Like 2

Whichever route you take matey I'm sure your'll have a good time with it, I think hydro is the best way to grow personally. Most systems are so alike its really tasters choice.

Good luck with the venture, it'll be interesting to see how you get on with your first Hydro grow if you do decide to go that way. And if so look at it this way, you couldn't f**k up as much as I did and have if your tried lol

@stu914 knows his stuff as well mate, and his much more in sync with the size of grows your'll be likely doing, a good guy to have around for hydro :yep:

Edited by GreenVision
  • Like 2

Hi  @stu914, thanks for the offer. I'm still dithering over the range of possibilities! 

I've been looking at your mish-mash system, looks good, I don't have a flood and drain table hanging around but still. The system you've shown above is a bit different again, is there a thread on this?

Which would you say was easier to manage?

• Like 2

Just now, MrSlatersParrot said:

Hi  @stu914, thanks for the offer. I'm still dithering over the range of possibilities! 

I've been looking at your mish-mash system, looks good, I don't have a flood and drain table hanging around but still. The system you've shown above is a bit different again, is there a thread on this?

Which would you say was easier to manage?

Hi,what about oxypot?Not expensive and looks good

55 minutes ago, MrSlatersParrot said:

is there a thread on this?

It started out as a basic DWC but I found keeping res temps within range a challenge without a chiller so adapted

it to a top fed system with the roots contained in the brown pots situated under the top lid,

this keeps them from going into the nutes. I only use this now for mother plants, sorry bud there's no specific thread...

18 hours ago, Norbinyo said:

Hi,what about oxypot?Not expensive and looks good

Hi mate, yes the oxypot is so cheap it hardly seems worth making one! Thanks for the suggestion.

What I'm concerned about is what stu914 said above:

16 hours ago, stu914 said:

I found keeping res temps within range a challenge without a chiller

I'm thinking that any system with roots in the nutrient needs a chiller or a reservoir outside the growing environment.

Have you used oxypots or similar? Any problems?

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MrSlatersParrot said:

Hi mate, yes the oxypot is so cheap it hardly seems worth making one! Thanks for the suggestion.

What I'm concerned about is what stu914 said above:

I'm thinking that any system with roots in the nutrient needs a chiller or a reservoir outside the growing environment.

Have you used oxypots or similar? Any problems?

No mate sorry i never try it i am new grower but  will wanna try in next year cuse i can leave the plant for few day's.But maybe somebody got here or used before.But ye the temperature in the tank looks bit of challenge :cowboy:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, badbillybob said:

read the thread i did on rdwc systems

Thanks!  I read that whole thread a while back and then closed the window and couldn't find it again!

2 hours ago, MrSlatersParrot said:

Thanks!  I read that whole thread a while back and then closed the window and couldn't find it again!

here u go