Strain taste and arome

Amnesialocal

Hi everyone,

I need help

I realised that probably I completely lost any feeling and taste, but I am really struggling to recognise the different terpenes, arome and smells of the strains.

Do you know when your read a breeder seed description and they define the strain as gas, with undertone of blueberry, spicy moss with truffle....etc etc... 

I feel very little of those descriptions.

I guess I can recognise gas strains ( diesel, chemdawg for example) and definitely lemon sativa ( haze prevalently)... But all the differences....far away.

If I try two at the same time of course I can distinguish them, but I can't recognise the varieties of aromas and firstly and most important I am not able to say if what I am smoking is what they told me is it.

I was thinking that maybe I should go to Amsterdam and select 4-6strain to try .... But also.....

Are we sure that when you have let say "Cheese" you are really smoking cheese?

And what the test of cheese taste, for example for those who never tried when it was so popular.

If I buy now cheese, will I try real cheese or something that is colled C but it's something else.

What can I do to refine and test better the fragrances and learn how to recognise them?

Thanks for any help

A

When you buy it’s always a gamble as to what you are being sold is what they say it is. 

Cheese is prob a bad example because there are so many crosses and only (imo) one true cut of cheese. So it’s easy for someone to say “it’s cheese” if it has a hint of cheese, if you have never smoked it before how would you know?

I grew a cheese x digiberry cross from subscriber seeds sent in by @Vicfirth12 and it does not smell or taste of cheese. It stinks of lemon peel and tastes like lemonade. 

We grow our own for this reason amongst others and it’s only when you grow something yourself that you truly know what you are consuming. 

Seeds bought from reputable and transparent breeders will usually deliver what they say they will but there will always be some variation. 

However if your sense of smell and taste are fucked none of the above matters. 

:yinyang:

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the comments.

I will leave the fact that to me Blueberries doesn't small nothing....but I am seriously concern I have very very reduced smell and palate teste

On 10/11/2023 at 02:13, lildaveham said:

However if your sense of smell and taste are fucked none of the above matters. 

True :( but still I guess that reputable and good genetics are valid not only for smell and taste but for what imho is the most important ....the high, actually the mental one.

Just a pity I can't apparently distinguish well terpenes differences or maybe misleading them ..(.like the "onion" fragrances of Hawaiian strains that to me is "cat piss" smell.)

It's something you can train, like wine tasting. Smell as much stuff as you can. What's the difference between the piss of this back cat and the piss of this ginger cat. Is morning piss different from evening piss? Study the nuances. What happens when you feed your cat blueberries? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Brilliant 😆

I will definitely continue trying...

Who know maybe a day I will be an expert in piss terpenes:)

On 09/11/2023 at 22:19, Amnesialocal said:

Do you know when your read a breeder seed description and they define the strain as gas, with undertone of blueberry, spicy moss with truffle....etc etc... 

I feel very little of those descriptions.

With Seeds you have to pheno hunt them phenos. Some strains/breeders take more hunting than others.

My taste buds have been shot from years of heavy ganja smoking, makes for a pleasant surprise when I actually taste something lol, now I've switched to dry herb vaping and dabs so starting to taste things a bit more.

• Like 3

On 09/11/2023 at 23:13, lildaveham said:

I grew a cheese x digiberry cross from subscriber seeds sent in by @Vicfirth12 and it does not smell or taste of cheese. It stinks of lemon peel and tastes like lemonade.

I agree but fuck me was it strong🤣 which cheese is not for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's an interesting bit about training your sense of smell in the potcast episode with Kevin Jodrey (episode 94 around 2.07).

It really is like any skill: if you want to get good, you have to practice.

But I'm the same. I'd probably have trouble identifying the strains I've grown myself without comparing one with the other.

• Thanks 1

Fresh coffee grounds are said to temporarily reset your sense of smell @Amnesialocal. May save you practicing on Piss smells 😂

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

@ipju@Mace_Windu

Many thanks for the advises 😀.

I remember this topic actually mentioned by DJ Short in "Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis"

Here an extract ... But the chapter includes also the Physical palate.

large.IMG_20240308_205213.jpg.51b9055276975dca20a16cfd2bc1cb41.jpg

Edited by Amnesialocal
  • Like 1