Blocking out a window of an outbuilding without it looking suspicious

Hole in the clouds

Hi anyone got any tips/ideas about blocking out a window in my outbuilding without it looking suspicious? I’ve basically put a white mdf board on the inside wall and sealed around it so from outside it looks like there’s a cupboard or something up against the window but stands out a mile and looks really suss to me. I want to change it but don’t know if I should just have the window swapped out to a pvc frame and panel that might look more dodgy. Obviously can’t put a net curtains or something in the window of what’s basically a shed. 

Why not curtains, loads of sheds on my local allotment have nets or curtains at the window to stop nosey parkers and potential pilferers I'm guessing...Could you lean some scrap timber against the wall from the outside to obscure it from view?

• Like 3

Just now, Hole in the clouds said:

Obviously can’t put a net curtains or something in the window of what’s basically a shed. 

No reason why you can't, I've got plain roller blinds at the windows then built the groom over those

so they cannot be opened...fuckall to do with anyone else, they can suspect what they like.

If anyone asks there's plenty of thefts from sheds so why put on show what you have in there?

Good enough reason to have the windows blanked out...

• Like 4

I've seen all manner of blocking shed windows. Most people will see it as a general security measure. Paint the outside near the same colour to help you feel better. The contrast of the two surfaces is grabbing you. it seems. Personally, I'd have bought a cheap light-blocking-type roller blind, hung that and taped down the edges.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, stu914 said:

If anyone asks there's plenty of thefts from sheds so why put on show what you have in there?

Think how many Builders vans have the back windows blacked out. No one ever thinks, " I'll be there's a kidnap victim in there! " ;)

• Like 2

I painted plywood black to fit each window, then glued 50mm celotex to the other side to reduce outbound emission and inbound cold.

• Like 1

I used a white blackout curtain cut to size and taped it up on the inside. 
Was worried about condensation / mold and that but its 2 years in and still looks same . 

There's another hanging curtain on the inside for when I open and close the door (regular light bulb beams out)

Before I did this had way too much light leaking into the shed now its pitch black in there. 

• Like 2

I just made a hole in my shed and fitted a vent. Be careful if using thin curtains as they can flap around in the exhausting air. However, wicker blinds conceal everything and don't flap around.