Beer Smell? Early 2000s

John'sMidnightGarden

Delighted to report that my new neighbour smokes the gaff out 24 hours a day - I am no longer the suspicious new guy who's only been there 3 years.  Had knocks but only sussing me out I think, old bill must get sick of these lot!  ANYWAY

What was the strain(s) that smelled in the pocket like your mates Stella beer?  Sort of early 2000s I'm sure - had terrible connections so never knew the strains, was always fresh from Dam or Bob Marley's back garden honest.  New neighbour's got a lot of it by the smell and I'm curious / nostalgic.  From memory it licked my little head off.

Cheers!

• Like 5

Can’t say iv had anything that resembles beer but anything that carry’s terpenes close to the hops plant should suffice. Give it a Google to see what terpenes the hops plant is dominant in then apply that to modern strains. That’d be a starting point anyway 

• Like 1

Just now, Dr feelgood said:

skunk

That's what I was going to say. That's assuming you're talking about bottled beer? If so do a google for skunked beer, they even use the same term as us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HazyHashMan said:

Can’t say iv had anything that resembles beer but anything that carry’s terpenes close to the hops plant should suffice. Give it a Google to see what terpenes the hops plant is dominant in then apply that to modern strains. That’d be a starting point anyway 

Stella Artois - along with many other beer manufacturers store their beer in green bottles.  It is a stupid choice, because when ultraviolet radiation (sunlight) passes through those bottles, it progressively degrades the terpenes and no doubt vcs in the beer, turning a hoppy smell into a skunky smell. The sensible manufacturers and home brewers typically store their beer in brown bottles which is far more proof against UV Skunking (as it is called).

I think there must be something about the hops used in Stella (Saaz hops) aroma profile that makes their odour and taste particularly vulnerable to 'skunking'.

Ironically it is one of the main reasons I fell in love with Stella Artois years ago.  Until recently I made a clone of it for my wife each year as she still loves it.  My brew was slightly better and slightly creamier, but all the same.

Yes OP, it's the original skunk smell!  I wish I had some.  I grew skunk #1 but didn't get that particular phenotype unfortunately.  Maybe your neighbour could hook you up?

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, John'sMidnightGarden said:

Stella beer?

That brings back memories

When anyone cracked a can of Stella open down the pack everyone would be looking round like who's got the high grade  lol

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Many moons ago when I drank booze Grolsch(?) always smelt really weedy 

Yeah, Grolsch is another happy green bottle victim :) and another beer that uses Saaz hops!

• Like 4

The breweries say that the problem is not their green glass, but the beer being stored in direct sunlight and don't accept they should change the colour of the glass.

So if you want really skunky beer, get something like a Stella or Grolsch - a beer in green glass bottles - and store it in direct sunlight for a month or so, then give it a whirl :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

Try sniffing a bottle of Becks blue (the non alcoholic one) it's just like sniffing a bag of green.

Good luck with your search :lucky:

• Like 1

Skunk hey!  Simple as that.  Really wish we'd known more back then, knowing you're ignorant as well thanks to early forums, pics you can't smell, painful!

Thanks for all the info I've been down rabbit holes now, I don't drink so surprised by it all!

• Like 2