Heat LED Vs HPS

Amnesialocal

Hi all,

I would like to figure it out how much heat an LED produce compared with a HPS like 150-400-600W for example. How much an LED raise and if there is a comparison with HPS.

Also:

X Watt HPS can be compared with  how many watt LED? 1=1? 150W HPS = 150W LED?

Many thanks

A

Led produces very little heat, hps is old tech and hotter by design. You’ll need heating whichever you use. 

And a 200w led is about the same as 600w hps, but it’s relative to which board and what spectrum you use. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Led produces very little heat, hps is old tech and hotter by design. You’ll need heating whichever you use. 

And a 200w led is about the same as 600w hps, but it’s relative to which board and what spectrum you use. 

Many thanks!!

Yes I am very old school as well :(

I was thinking to replace a 150W HPS with this:

https://acinfinity.com/hydroponics-growers/grow-lights/led-grow-lights/iongrid-t22-full-spectrum-led-grow-light-130w-samsung-lm301h-2x2-ft-coverage/

And something like this could be a replacement for let say a 600HPS?

https://acinfinity.com/hydroponics-growers/grow-lights/led-grow-lights/iongrid-s33-full-spectrum-led-grow-light-300w-samsung-lm301h-3x3-ft-coverage/

Any link, advise where to investigate further this topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!

A

Edited by Amnesialocal

I use par+ 480w , it's board type of leds so it actually heats up much more then I expected.Lumatek zeus are open frame so heat goes up unlike with board types.

IMO if you had 150w hps I'd get 250w led atleast to compensate heat or buy 150w Led and add 100w of tube heaters.

I never used under 250w hps but I'd say 250w hps heat vise is on par with my 480w Led.

Edited by Herbal Kint
  • Like 2

Yes. I think you are on the right lines there. Stick with decent brands. I have replaced a 600W HPS with 325W of LED lamps and it is somewhere in the ballpark of being equivalent.

I run a 3ft tube heater connected to an inkbird. In the summer it hardly comes on. In the winter it burns your ankles.

I also moved the grow out of the loft. LED's, winter & heating a grow!!!

Edited by Lux_Interior
sp.

Im currently using 2 mk1 maxibright daylight led's and 2 lumatek zues's there all 660w and im struggling to hit 25c with 10" isomax out and 8" td silent in turned down quite low on a fan controller,, i doubt i could run 4 x 600w hps in the same space without having heat issues

My tents can easily sit at 27-30c lights on with one tent 100w and the other 150w.

But my tents are in my bedroom so it's getting heat that's already being produced by two TV's, gaming PC, dehumidifier and me lol

Lights out two 1ft tube heaters in a 60x60x160 tent keeps the lights out temps around 25c, I can't fit a tube heater in the little 40x40x120 tent tho, I've been thinking about using a small box as a mini lung room with a tube heater inside and connected to the little tent via ducting.

I also use a small USB light above my lights blowing the warm air downwards and cool the drivers. Air temps are measured at canopy level.

4 hours ago, Amnesialocal said:

If you're planning on using it for a 2x2 tent then I would strongly recommend a "Viparspectra XS1500 Pro" instead due to its lens its the best light for a 2x2 on the market, from the centre to the far corners it only loses 10% ppfd, par map tested in the video below.

That AC light loses 50% ppfd at 12" from center to corners.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, Military Grade said:

If you're planning on using it for a 2x2 tent then I would strongly recommend a "Viparspectra XS1500 Pro" instead due to its lens its the best light for a 2x2 on the market, from the centre to the far corners it only loses 10% ppfd, par map tested in the video below.

That AC light loses 50% ppfd at 12" from center to corners.

Really many thanks!!!  That's the kind of info are very useful!!!

For a 300w approx? Any recommendation?

Thanks

• Like 1

The thinking should be what light for what size grow space rather than how many Watts for what grow space when talking about LED.

What size space is the bigger light for?

Don’t think it’s been mentioned, but LED you can use from seed to harvest if it has a good dimmer. Most HPS users I know use a MH or CFH in the early stages :yep:

:)

I realised that probably I will be able to do 1-2 max grow per year due to location and environmental issues and I am very concern with my future design I will be very short on self sufficiency.

My dream would be 1x1m. Maybe 80x80 could fit.... maybe 

What would be your recommendation in this case?

Many thanks 

Edited by Amnesialocal

Just now, Flamedodger said:

Don’t think it’s been mentioned, but LED you can use from seed to harvest if it has a good dimmer. Most HPS users I know use a MH or CFH in the early stages :yep:

This is exactly a problem I have now for the 150....

If LED are all dimmable could be also a good opportunity to consider for example high full wattage and use less in normal grow and full for specific situations.... a 200w for example that i could use as 50-100W for seedling early Vege and 150W as normal range and maybe 200W the last week of flowering?

If you’re in a 60x60, I recommend a Migro 2 array. I’ve used mine primarily for vegging and seedlings, but flowering out a Nonames and Discobiscuit under it atm. It’s a great light for small spaces, iirc you can have the light as close as 6” :yep:

You can also add to the Migro arrays if you upgrade to a bigger space. They also sponsor the site now as well :D

My veg cab is 85x110x45cm, so about the same size but not dimensionally and maybe a bit less height.