Pill-pressing decarbed flower

catweazle1

14 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

My curiosity is also piqued.

Can anyone provide a rough suggestion as to what quantity is involved (in terms of weight)? When it comes to ingestion, titration is everything. It took me four overdoses to get the measure of my current batch of cannabutter. I did finally get it right :hippy:

There is very little science to know AFAIK. Strange considering the increasing popularity/legality of ingestibles in both the recreational and medical fields.

My guess is that it concerns 11-hydroxy-THC. Apparently in some areas it is available for therapeutic purposes see for example https://leafwell.com/blog/11-hydroxy-thc . But all of these sites cheerfully admit they know nothing about it! All that is known about 11-OH-THC is that it is a metabolic product created when THC passes through the liver; it is slower to be absorbed than THC and it inhibits THC uptake. Inhalation creates far less THC because most of the THC gets to the brain before it passes through the liver. It may be similar to THC both molecularly and psychoactively, but it is a different drug to THC.

Perhaps the difference between infusions and raw decarbed lies in how much THC gets converted into 11- OH- THC?

Yes Delta THC 11 is the one that makes things more  physically consuming and long lasting. It has to be made in the liver first, unless you get the synthetic stuff. When you have an infusion, that uses the sublingual pathway through the mouth lining/under tongue, which avoids the liver.

Edited by catweazle1

There was a good section in Hashish by Robert Connel Clark about the liver doing it's thing. Apparently it's 20 times stronger once the liver has worked its magic. Certainly feels 20 times stronger tbf lol

• Like 1

As far as dosing goes, it should be easier and more predictable because you are using the pure flower as is, so there's less uncertainty of what you are taking dose-wise  because extraction yields can vary widely in oil. I think this uncertainty opens one up to ODing more often than raw decarbed flower. My method for gauging dose is to presume a certain potency. I guess mine is somewhere like 10-15%, so 1g (1000mg) contains 100-150mg thc. 1g is a not bad hit for me. Effects last 4-5 hours, compared to an hour or so smoking it and I don't reach the same depth and level.

• Like 2

I've read 3 times stronger, but what does "stronger" really mean though. Gram for Gram it will get you more "out of it", but it is qualitatively different too IMO. It would be interesting to vape some 11-OH-THC to run a comparison :idea:

• Like 1

Just now, Simple Jack said:

I've read 3 times stronger, but what does "stronger" really mean though. Gram for Gram it will get you more "out of it", but it is qualitatively different too IMO. It would be interesting to vape some 11-OH-THC to run a comparison :idea:

Yes, it's qualitatively different and  it's the only time I've been worried about my heart once. The dose was outrageous.

• Like 1

Is there any science behind infused vs eating ground bud direct? I recall a similar buzz to smoking when I did it, maybe the liver converts the ground bud differently? Maybe the stomach acid has an effect on bud vs oils? 

• Like 1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

Yes, it's qualitatively different and  it's the only time I've been worried about my heart once. The dose was outrageous.

It is so much easier to overdose on edibles to the extent that the actual cause is a moot point.

• Like 1

Just now, Slippy One said:

Is there any science behind infused vs eating ground bud direct? I recall a similar buzz to smoking when I did it, maybe the liver converts the ground bud differently? Maybe the stomach acid has an effect on bud vs oils? 

My experience is empirically found. Up to now, my feeling is that oil infusion doesn't extract all the experiential components that maybe our digestive system can from decarbed. I'm wary to say it's better because everybody's needs are different. 

• Like 1

I heard vaping decarbed weed is stronger, I've not tried it though, imagine it would taste like shit.

Maybe infused oil only contains certain cannabinoids, decarbded weed might contain more/all of them :unsure:

• Like 1

@KC Yeah, smoking decarb is not nice and I wouldn't imagine vaping is either. All the pleasant stuff has been removed apart from the psychoactives. My mind is open to the idea that infusion doesn't pull all psychoactive types out of the flower. It's not so much the amount but the variety of compounds available via each process.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that infusions and raw bud will have a different chemoprofile. The entourage effect depends on the elements present, so it makes sense that any difference in chemotype can alter the experience to a greater or lesser degree - it's completely uncharted territory.

A tangential question, one that I've never had an answer to, is does the strain of cannabis used to make edibles make a perceptible difference?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Simple Jack said:

I think it's safe to say that infusions and raw bud will have a different chemoprofile. The entourage effect depends on the elements present, so it makes sense that any difference in chemotype can alter the experience to a greater or lesser degree - it's completely uncharted territory.

A tangential question, one that I've never had an answer to, is does the strain of cannabis used to make edibles make a perceptible difference?

When I have distinctly different flowers, I'll see if there is a difference. My methodology is too ramshackle atm to be meaningful with what I have now.

• Like 2

Yeah if strain type had any merit regarding edibles, we’d be seeing this in products. Mind you there’s probably something in it, just not enough data. Anyone seen strain specific oil/edibles? Nope, me neither. That’s not to say strain specific raw dried bud capsules wouldn’t produce a strain specific effect, a la Charlottes Web oil. 

Would be interesting to see any studies and more data on strain spec edibles. 

• Like 2

On 01/11/2023 at 5:45 PM, catweazle1 said:

I want to press my own weed tablets from decarbed flower. Will it hold together and any other advice? I use a Herboven and the freshly decarbed weed still has an oily/dampish feel.

I think we’ve gone off topic on this, what are you using to compress the bud? Something like a clay press/extruder? I did this with sift hash and made mini hockey pucks, but I’m pretty sure filling capsules with the ground bud an easier option to swallow.. 

1 minute ago, Slippy One said:

I think we’ve gone off topic on this, what are you using to compress the bud? Something like a clay press/extruder? I did this with sift hash and made mini hockey pucks, but I’m pretty sure filling capsules with the ground bud an easier option to swallow.. 

It's single pill press with fixed diameter and variable thickness via 3 washers. You just hit it with a hammer.