Aeroponics

GreenVision

Hi all. I've recently all but finished my new loft room, part of the idea of having this new room was always to have a good solid hydroponic system up there so I dont have to hand water every day or two. This loft room has been a few years in the making and the hydro system has always been a part of the idea, I just cant keep on opening the loft hatch and jumping up to water.

Early on when brainstorming all this I came across a few Aeroponic systems and have since realy come to want to try one out. There is a few con's for sure to Aeroponics, but overall I think it's honestly the best suited system for my grow area. No air pumps, low'ish in terms of pot height from the floor, much less water than RDWC so much less weight on the floor up there and in turn less time to RO the water needed, fully automated, less equipment to plug in and its a bit cheaper overall.

The trouble I've had for ages now is that I cant find ANYONE using them grow a personal crop. Seen a few small homemade systems on Google which had great results all told but I have a 1.8m x 2.4m area to grow in so that wont work. The only guys I ever find using them on a multiple plant grow are those huge commercial growers in the US etc. I'm all for a challenge but 12 plants (16 at a real push) really is about my limit.... Not quite ready for 300 plants yet lol

If anyone knows of a grow etc on UK420 where Aeroponics were used to grow a crop I'd really love to have a look through. Also if anyone who really does use them to grow but doesn't have diaries on UK420 can add some insight to how they get on I'd love to hear about that too.

Its quite a scary transition when you have nothing to go on. Even the guys that make the systems cant give too much help as they cant endorse what I want to use them for so I wouldn't put them in that position and say something like "What EC sould my OG clones be at on week 2" lol But I really do want to give it a go as I think they have a lot to offer.

Cheers all.

• Like 2

Just now, GreenVision said:

I cant find ANYONE using them grow a personal crop.

Should tell you something GV but if you really do intend to go aero then it looks like a DIY custom build jobbie bud...:yep:

Have you got an idea of what you need to set up, or how to do it?

• Like 4

Just now, stu914 said:

Should tell you something GV but if you really do intend to go aero then it looks like a DIY custom build jobbie bud...:yep:

Have you got an idea of what you need to set up, or how to do it?

We had had this exact convo here mate. They are...... Niche? Maybe?

When I couldn't find any growers like us using them I did have to ask myself "Is it cos's they're a bit iffy"? Me and the missus said the same thing, maybe nobody is using them because they either not as good as RDWC or worse just dont work well with Cannabis growing.

Just like the LED's mate, if it turns out RDWC is the best route that's what I'll take. Its why I'm trying to find out now so in a couple of months when I go to get whatever I get I've at least had a good look into it.

There is a few things about them that concern me, and I do know RDWC very well. This is knida it right here, unless I can find some real life ino and experience on the Aero I'll drop the idea and stick with RDWC :yep:

On the build front though mate, I dont think I'd take it on with this size. Its not leakage etc that worries me, its all the misters etc getting clogged. With these aero systems the few I have found that were made at home all had the same issues, chief among which was the misters getting blocked. If I went Aero I know the system I'd get. But again right now its looking like they just dont fit in with home growers in the UK for whatever reasons.

So unless a few guys here say they have great results with something similar to what I'm looking at its RDWC for me.

Cheers matey.

• Like 1

@GreenVision

I was tempted with the aero route, was going to use a couple of large 200mm pipes at an angle with a smaller spray bar inside, there was a really good article in high times years ago about an aeroponic personal rolling grow where plants were harvested every 4 weeks, can I find the article....no

been reading all the pros and cons and nutrient line and sprayers are the ball ache, as you say clogging is a bitch and those roots need to stay misted.

all in all I'll think I'll stick with my RTW dripper system, fill the res up once a week, the thought of no pots and substrate is a dream tho

• Like 2

this is only link I can find

growery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/195142

that is the 2009 high times article

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 1

There was an old thread on here RE aeroponics - someone made a homemade system, I specifically remember it had a diaphragm pump/pressure chamber. Something about drain to waste springs to mind. Sorry I cant be more help! 

Edited by GSZZ
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

its RDWC for me.

I've pretty much perfected my system now bud might be worth considering if you fancy a look? 

(aint no one else gonna blow my trumpet...:rofl:)

• Like 3

OK, so, after another few hours of diggin around the WWW it does seem that Aeroponics with Cannabis is a bit tricky in terms of home growing, its just better suited in larger scale grows by all accounts.

Also, I assumed they would be silent running, just some water jets every so often, apparently not. Have a found a few topics / pages where growers have said they were quite surprised at how much noise they do actually make. The misters / jets come on periodically and one guy has said that because they come on when everything is otherwise quiet they're actually even more noticable than any other system they've used.

Found some reviews on a hydro shop, cant always trust reviews I know, but one made a good point about the system failing or even a brief power cut. I hadn't taken it into account, we had 1 power cut I think in the 6 years nearly I've lived here so maybe not a huge concern, but where the roots are only misted if the lights are on and u miss a couple of mists your in a LOT of trouble.

Finally I read a shit ton of folks complaining about the avg Hydro nutrients really blocking up the system. On the same site as the above review another grower left a comment about how the had to take the system apart FOUR times before they even got to bloom. I dont think that was the UK, but I suppose the same still applies as its apparently the nutrients doing it not the water alone. Someone replied to this agreeing and saying they have to replace the lines and misters every grow even after trying most nutrient brands.

The feeling I get now is that they work REALLY well, but its a huge unnecessary ball ache to get the same results you can get from the normal methods of hydro growing.

Kinda talked myself out of this one I think. I love new things etc but I'm realistic and after more reading on the specifics of Aeroponics with Cannabis I dont think its worth the attempt and hassle.

• Like 4

Used to run dustbins aero style using a machine mart hippo pump to garden hoses Capps off with the spray nozzles around the rim. Used a hanging basket through the lid so roots went down to the hose under the rim. It worked well but was a pita lol shit that’s was almost 22 years ago lol 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I was last on this forum around 2010...called myself Carpodiem then...there was a dude on here ran 4 x OE/NJ cuts and a 1000w HID in a 4x4 tent...thing is his Aero system was commercial, can't remember what make of course, but he pulled a full box outta those 4 cuts.

regards maintenance tho, i recall he was up in his roof every day to reset to 5.6 so wasn't what's being looked for here anyway 

Anyone remember that other dude called HUK...he had a recirculator system, 3 litre pots with rockwool cubes / 2xdrippers each pot and 3x3 trays with Sulemans cheese?

• 3 weeks later...

i tried it yonks ago but had numerous issues. if, and its a bit "IF" you can get it dialled in its undoubtedly the fastest way to grow, BUT, there is so much that can go wrong

A mate built a system about 7-8 years back with high pressure pumps and solenoids and all sorts. the plants went ballistic, but again he had various issues and since scrapped it.

have a look at KYND on yoopube, might be cannacribs,  they are using a form of aero on a commercial scale,