New grow, what do I need?

joshbunnybun

I have a small utility room, I can get a 1mx1m tent in there.

I may need auto watering but would rather grow in coco,

The building is quite cold in winter so temperature will need sorting.

Automation required.

For automation is it best to regulate via the extractor? To keep temps and humidity right? I am looking at AC Infinity with the 69 controller. Is there anything else I need to dial the enviroment in?

Heating, whats best? I see people are using tube heaters, do I need something to regulate heaters?

400w hps or 600w if you can fit 1.2m tent in,parabolic reflector maybe.

If you go that route you will need filter,fan,ducting,clamps for ducting and some tape.Controler for vent if you can.  Tube heaters or something to keep them warm in dark hours,I use oil rad but that's overkill for such a small space prolly.

If you go led same but you can set tube heaters on 24/7 in winter months. Leds are safer to run tho

Tube heaters are ok for tiny spaces, but anywhere cold will need somethng a bit beefier ime. Heat mats are great so get some of those and you'll need some sort of heating be it a oil rad, greenhouse heater or duct heater.

Set yourself a budget to spend, that will largely tell you what sort of lighting you'll end up with, led is far more expensive for something decent. Hid is really cheap and prefectly adequate, we all used it for years so don't worry about having to buy an expensive led when you start up, it;s nice if you can but not a necessity.

• Like 2

Thanks, I was going to go down the LED road, I dont mind the outlay if it saves me money in the long run.

Can you get heat mats to cover 1x1m? I have yet to see one that big?

The room will have central heating but it is off a lot of the time so secondary heating is a must for when the CH is off.

So basically , I am after tube heaters controlled by an incbird? What kind of wattage should I be looking at?

• Like 1

Oh, another thing, I have read they need humidity? With heating on doesnt the air dry up? I have seen sprayers for lizard tanks, would they work?

As for the auto watering, I'm impressed with the AC Infinity self-watering plant bases. Using one right now with coco clay 60/40 and the plants are looking great. You could probably automate the water supply to the tray too if you wanted to set and forget.

You can find all sorts of sizes in heat mats if you look but most of us just buy the ones from the hydro shop and use 2 next to each other running off a thermostat. They're long but narrow, hence the need for 2.

I don't use inkbird, my rads have thermostats in them, not as precise but they do the job for me. As to what wattage you need will depend on how cold the place you're growing is. If you go tube heaters get the biggest one you can find or like I say buy something else that will actually heat the tent. 

You can buy humidifiers cheap enough. Most people don't need them, it's just for when the plants are tiny. My last one died years ago from me using tap water in it and I've never replaced it.