Old sash window for outside extraction?

Slippy One

Is anyone using an old wooden sash window for exterior extraction? What's the best way to do this and still maintain a decent seal?

The window hidden and safe from neighbours, air is filtered and I need to extract 150mm (6") ducting. I was thinking just a wood panel with 6" hole but then thought about the 1" gap in the middle this would create. Doesn't need to be air tight but would prefer to keep the freezing winter air out. My other thought was to remove a pane, as most of the putty has fallen off anyway, this would allow me to install a nice perspex panel with hole, and just refit the glass when done. .

Any ideas?

Cheers

• Like 1

other idea....

can you find in the scrap yard a outsite unit from an AC ?

Just blow your hot air trough that scrap....

even when police sees the warmth with a cam and hears some sounds.... its no problem.....since that comes from those units :) 

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

but then thought about the 1" gap in the middle this would create.

It's an easy workaround. A strip of closed-cell foam. Cut it to size and wedge it in to form a perfect seal. Rot resistant and causes no damage to the window.

• Like 1

Pull it from somewhere else personally I would leave the sash window alone there old and in my experience don’t like to be fucked around with unless that he only option.peace Goohfy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Clubs said:

It's an easy workaround. A strip of closed-cell foam. Cut it to size and wedge it in to form a perfect seal. Rot resistant and causes no damage to the window.

That's some next level solution! :D 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Goohfy said:

Pull it from somewhere else personally I would leave the sash window alone there old and in my experience don’t like to be fucked around with unless that he only option.peace Goohfy.

I agree, it will be less fuss to drop the top sash and wedge a thin bit of plywood in, foam to stop the drafts during winter. I'm pushing air out, so the dehumidifier isn't competing with damp plant air, well that's the plan anyway.. lol

• Like 1

Is the property yours, or rented ?

Is the window visible to neighbours ?

I'd be tempted to replace one of the glass panes with a perspex panel, with an appropriate size hole. Easy to swap back, if need's be.

Assuming, of course, that the frame is still in a reasonable condition.

Edited by Zipster

Renting. And that was the most elegant solution I could think of long term, although I’m not sure if the frame is great, and as what was previously mentioned, a plywood panel and foam insert is plug and play, and instantly removed if needed.. :yep: 

Although having a search, there’s so many different types of this foam, I wonder which is better for airtight? 

• Like 1

you could do with 1 of these

large.IMG_1333.jpeg

its a bit I got with my portable AC [electriQ] - its 2 pieces of plastic that slide into each other, so you can extend to the edges, with a hole for the ducting 'end' to fit to the window. it fits at the bottom of a sash, or the side of a sliding opener (i.e. a sash window on its side)

mystic

• Like 2

@Slippy One Closed Cell Polyethylene Foam. Have a look at 'efoam'. I used the stuff to seal a bull-nosed vent onto an uneven tongue and groove shed exterior and it fills the gaps nicely. :yep:

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

you could do with 1 of these

large.IMG_1333.jpeg

mystic

That looks perfect!

Although the hole is the wrong shape, I'm thinking an adapter would be used? My extraction is 6" in a tiny cabinet, so always running on low speeds and could easily get away with a reducer/adapter. 

What's the brand or shop?

3 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

an adapter

iirc, there is an adapter online, that takes the oval shape to  circular. ive never used the jobbie in the pic, as my windows are casement

I got it with an ElectriQ airflex 15 v2 portable AC w/heat pump (it comes with the AC), again, iirc, you might be able to get the sliding window jobbie separate - its called the 'window kit'

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everyone, all done. Went with removable plywood, sash wedged in place, all sealed up with draught excluder , just waiting on some foam to plug both gaps in the middle of the sash window. Goodbye 74% humidity late flower. :guitar:lol 

large.IMG_2590.jpeg

• Like 1