Experienced GG'ers - When to start preparing for next year?

dingo bingo

Soon as the leaves fall the compost piles get started! Already bought the makita mower, prep never stops 

Edited by Downsouth
  • Like 7

@Clean Green nettle leaves are great worked back into the soil. The canes not so much, they need breaking down as they take ages to rot down compared to foliage. Be mindful you aren't basically planting a heap of seeds too though, and if you tarp it keep it tight so nothing gets in

• Like 4

I’m prolly the laziest GGer on here. This is after I’ve prepped  large.IMG_5542.jpeg
I wander over late March once the soil has warmed and just loosen a Sqm of soil with my travel auger where I’m going to plant.
The soil here is 15 inches deep and marginal. 
I give a full dose per sqm of Chicken Pellets, a half of dose of FBB , half a dose BM and scratch it in to the surface and let the rains wash it in. 

I go as little as possible and just tend to trample the nettles down for plant out in May. 
As the nettles grow back I trim and use as a summer moisture mulch which helps continue the nutrient cycle.
In later visits I use Chicken Pellets for another higher N hit and then switch to FBB mid season and a final dose of FBB and SOP early August.

You can be Lazy and still GG :cowboy:

Edited by Lea Valley
  • Like 10

@Lea Valley   yes very nice nettle plot :) 

got one like yours...

mine is for sure 20+ years with nettles, so i do not worry about N....and she gets PK from slow release osmocote, so pretty lazy gg :) 

yes your right with the summer moisture mulch.....its good for the plant....but......

this is what it looks like when you look from above :( 

medium.619790082_bandicam2020-10-1302-30-13-897.thumb.jpg.39dfc13c72d1a13a00da599d9449013c.jpg.85539abf7362fadd16e5f00fc618f660.jpg

since i know ...i collect the dead nettles trim and put them under trees....

what you see is plants 3 meter apart...and the mulch of 2 meter high nettles....

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 5

@DutchFox
Nice one Fox,

I live in fear of Ariel discovery as I’m under Police Helicopter flight paths. It’s why I’m so discreet and can’t have too much disturbance of undergrowth. I’ve been planting later here as I can get Monsters but the risk is too high.
The tactics must be working tho as this Never Water Plot has been in use since 2017 !!!

Yes Osmocote is super lazy,

I prefer the Organic ferts as they’re so easy to use and prompt me to make the minimal maintenance visits I need. 
I guess I just wanted to show that you don’t need too much prep to have a successful season. 
Im in Amsterdam mid November for work for a week but I’ll have a few days off so looking to buy some expensive medium quality weed, wanna have a smoke together ?

• Like 5