ISW Flood & Drain first timer

Richard Pipes

Hi guys, new to the forum so thanks for having me.

I've joined because I'm stuck on a issue,

It's my first time using a iws flood and drain system after using soil and drippers for a long time

My issue I've got is I've got a 9x 20l pot set up in 60/40 and I put the cuttings in approximately 2 weeks ago and they seem to be growing really slow, they've probably growned 3 to 4 inches and I've fed them twice on the system for 20 minutes and they just don't seem to be drying out at all. Is this normal and do I have them feeding on the system every day still even tho they seem over watered ?

Thanks. 

Hi bud and welcome,

Flood and Drain is usually with pebbles which allow for good drainage, looks like you've overwatered and the roots have stalled,

if you can put up some pics it would be helpful...

cheers

Hi Stu thanks for the reply, I said this to a mate and he works in a hydroponic shop and he swears by 60/40 in one. I might change them for pebbles whilst they're still small. 

I'll get some pics shortly mate see what you think.

• Like 1

I started out with a flood and drain table, now changed using drippers and pebbles, works really well and growth is super fast,

all in my profile...:yep:

Just now, stu914 said:

I started out with a flood and drain table, now changed using drippers and pebbles, works really well and growth is super fast,

all in my profile...:yep:

So would you say 60/40 in a iws f n d system isn't going to work at all ? 

9 minutes ago, Richard Pipes said:

So would you say 60/40 in a iws f n d system isn't going to work at all ? 

I wouldn't entertain it bud, I know what I'm doing with pebbles

• Like 1

As the lads have said you've over watered them... should've established them in small pots first, and then hand watered for a bit once put into the bigger pots before flooding the system.

I can tell you very confidently that more 60/40 is put in IWS systems than all the other options combined - mind you thats not to say its the best option, but id hazard its the safest.

@richard pipes 

I use coco in the iws and only feed once a day but when i use fresh cuts i manually flood once every 2 days for the first week so the roots bed in,, dont flood them for a day and let them dry back a bit before going back to feeding everyday