Help please with LED setup for 1m by 1m tent

Frostybuds

Hi everyone,

New to this site and new to the growing world.

I am looking to setup my first grow tent. It will be a small 1m X 1m, 2m height and am struggling with finding a good light. From my research, I am considering the HLG 500Qquad r and b spec combo with an added qb18 for far reds. 

Even if it will be my first grow I want to get the best possible leds out there on the market.

What are everyone's thoughts on the above setup? Does anyone on here have any other suggestions for a better led set up?

Also, if I may... I am considering a hydroponic setup and noticed @stu914 setup. Do you think that would be something achievable for a first time grower if I do my research properly? Or should I go for coco/soil pots instead? Planning to grow some Super Silver Haze.

• Like 2

Good luck and welcome to the boards :yep:

I don’t know what level of competence you have,

i’d recommend you begin with compost or even coco for your first grown,

rather than jumping straight into the deep end with full hydro??

Have you considered the Lumatek Zeus 465?

I use the 600W version in a slightly bigger space and I’m very happy with it :D 

Super Silver Haze is very nice if you can find a good representation of it :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 3

Just now, Shumroom said:

Good luck and welcome to the boards :yep:

I don’t know what level of competence you have,

i’d recommend you begin with compost or even coco for your first grown,

rather than jumping straight into the deep end with full hydro??

Have you considered the Lumatek Zeus 465?

I use the 600W version in a slightly bigger space and I’m very happy with it :D 

Super Silver Haze is very nice if you can find a good representation of it :thumsup:

Atb

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice, Shumroom!

To answer your question- no, I haven't tried the Lumatek Zeus 465 even though it is on my wishlist. I am just trying to work out which are the best full spectrum leds on the market at the moment..

Regarding compost/soil over a hydroponic setup is because I wouldn't mind some DIY and hydro seems more appealing to me as a first time grower I would like to not jave to think about plant trabsplants etc. At the same time, I am aware that hydroponics tend to be more difficult when it comes to fixing plant issues.

• Like 1

Hi and welcome, personally I would start in compost, just to keep things simple and it is quite forgiving (read up on soil buffering) and it will help you get some experience under your belt before exploring other more interesting ways to grow.

I have cheapo Chinese boards but I wouldnt recommend them to anyone - they do the job, just not as well as the better lights.

Migrow have some very good lights (reportedly) and are a site sponsor (youll get a bit of discount :yep: )

• Like 2

Hi bud and welcome,

Unlike most growers I started out directly in hydro, never grown a plant to harvest in soil/coco/compost...however...

I struggled for some time with many failures until eventually got the hang of it.

My current system is designed to eliminate problems found with other hydro methods and after a fair bit of tweaking is

pretty close to how I want it to work. Plenty of examples in my profile. If you want I can take you through step by step what I do.

Unfortunately my leds came from a site sponsor who's no longer with us so they're no long available,

damned shame he was a top guy with superb products...be guided which lights to get by what others say on here.

OK...

Most important part of your set-up is the environment....:yep:

If you don't get that close to optimum then all sorts of problems arise that the best light and hydro system in the world won't cure.

One last thing (for now) buy the best equipment you can afford, in this game it's "buy cheap, buy twice"

Good Luck

:oldtoker:

• Like 3

Have a look at the ControlLED spectrotech 480w if it'll fit....

A mate has a couple of their 830w diotech lights and they're bloody impressive.

Also they happen to be a site sponsor so its a win win :yep:

• Like 3

Spectro-Tech 480w Pro LED:
Suitable For 1.m x 1.m - 1.2m x 1.2m Growing Area
Dimensions: 850 x 850 x 82 (MM)
Efficiency @227VAc: 2.71 UMOL/s, Light Output PPF: 1325

Atb

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Satchitananda said:

I don't think HLG Quantum Boards could be considered the best...and I say that as someone who has one. 

Hi @Satchitananda thanks for your input. Can I ask why you consider they are not the best on the market? From what I read on the internet, this brand seems the most reputable so far.

2 hours ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud and welcome,

Unlike most growers I started out directly in hydro, never grown a plant to harvest in soil/coco/compost...however...

I struggled for some time with many failures until eventually got the hang of it.

My current system is designed to eliminate problems found with other hydro methods and after a fair bit of tweaking is

pretty close to how I want it to work. Plenty of examples in my profile. If you want I can take you through step by step what I do.

Unfortunately my leds came from a site sponsor who's no longer with us so they're no long available,

damned shame he was a top guy with superb products...be guided which lights to get by what others say on here.

OK...

Most important part of your set-up is the environment....:yep:

If you don't get that close to optimum then all sorts of problems arise that the best light and hydro system in the world won't cure.

One last thing (for now) buy the best equipment you can afford, in this game it's "buy cheap, buy twice"

Good Luck

:oldtoker:

Thank you @stu914. I am aiming to have my environment as close as possible to ideal conditions.

Planning to set up my tent in the living room where the temperature doesn't go any lower than 20 celsius. I plan to sterilize everything and make the tent as tight as possible with good ventilation.

Do you think I could grow some good w)quality bud if I used your setup and do you anticipate any issues to look out for when it comes to building my first hydro system and during the grow?

Just now, Frostybuds said:

Hi @Satchitananda thanks for your input. Can I ask why you consider they are not the best on the market? From what I read on the internet, this brand seems the most reputable so far.

I use the 150w Quatnum Board and I am guessing the 500w Quad uses four of these?

The single board has pretty poor uniformity of light and if I was buying a 150w LED now I would buy something with better uniformity of light over the area it covers.

Just now, Frostybuds said:

do you anticipate any issues to look out

The build is pretty simple and not too expensive, have a read through my "Mish-Mash thread and you'll get the idea.

There are always potential issues with any grow and I've tried to deal with as many as possible but there's never

any guarantees, if you do exactly what I do you should get a good result.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchitananda said:

I use the 150w Quatnum Board and I am guessing the 500w Quad uses four of these?

The single board has pretty poor uniformity of light and if I was buying a 150w LED now I would buy something with better uniformity of light over the area it covers.

Thank you for sharing about your experience with the 150W Quantum Board.

Yes, the 500w Quantum Board uses four of those panels. Not sure if they are of the same output though but I would guess so?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shumroom said:

Spectro-Tech 480w Pro LED:
Suitable For 1.m x 1.m - 1.2m x 1.2m Growing Area
Dimensions: 850 x 850 x 82 (MM)
Efficiency @227VAc: 2.71 UMOL/s, Light Output PPF: 1325

Atb

Thanks! I had a look at these and noticed these are recommended for flowering only.

I should have probably mentioned that I am looking for leds that would cover both veg and flowering.

• Like 1