How much work is it growing autos?

childofmelee

Do autos have to be looked after like photoperiod plants or do they not require as much attention?

Can I put the autos out in the bush and check up on em once a week?

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 1

Went to see a GG a couple of months ago. Guy can only get to it once a week so he's put a FloPro solar irrigation system in (cost £50 total). Feeds off a 200 litre barrel (well hidden). Waters every 3 hours. Flow rate increases with full sun (so automatically gives more water during hot, dry periods). Shuts down when the sun goes in so no watering at night. Apart from that, usual protection around the base of the plants and he uses slow release fertiliser pellets. Apart from some bud rot, the auto plants looked very healthy. Think he's had the spot for 6 years and used the FloPro for the last 2 years (he lost a couple of grows in the past due to drought). 

• Like 1

How much work depends entirely on you plot, if you can find somewhere with really good soil and a water source nearby it can make things a lot easier. 

I wouldn't recommend auto's for a beginner, they're much harder to get a good crop from than photos, especially outdoors. With autos you've only got about 3 weeks before they start to flower so if you don't get everything just right in that time they can end up stunted and tiny, like 3g a plant tiny. 

• Like 1

"With autos you've only got about 3 weeks before they start to flower so if you don't get everything just right in that time they can end up stunted and tiny, like 3g a plant tiny. "

What @MindSoup said! I ran a few autos outside, and yeah, they grew and seemed relatively happy, but the yields were pretty terrible tbh. One of them didn't get much past being a Thai stick (at best!) It was still tasty but the flowers never properly formed and it was like a collection of single calyxes. Hard to describe. I didn't give them the best start so they were stunted, basically. 

23 minutes ago, Hashslag said:

"With autos you've only got about 3 weeks before they start to flower so if you don't get everything just right in that time they can end up stunted and tiny, like 3g a plant tiny. "

What @MindSoup said! I ran a few autos outside, and yeah, they grew and seemed relatively happy, but the yields were pretty terrible tbh. One of them didn't get much past being a Thai stick (at best!) It was still tasty but the flowers never properly formed and it was like a collection of single calyxes. Hard to describe. I didn't give them the best start so they were stunted, basically. 

I feel mine did this, i didnt realise they were autos, treated them like photos, repotted them 3 times, topped them, now their budding but very slowly, wil hurt to get rid if I do but id rather use the space and grow out my next lot and learn from this mess up and next time growe an auto proerly (or not) lol

• Like 1

Just like all living things, they do best with love and care. Give them a good start in life is greatly important. 
Check out my wee experiment in the garden this past summer:

My autos got ZERO love or attention this year ,  in pots in the wettest season we have had in a while and i did ok :yep:    

Previous years i have done GG autos with no dramas  .  working them you can enhance yields but left alone they grow ok. 

Run autos / fems and even fasts  ... spread the gamble and try level the odds a bit.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Brysee said:

They are easy to grow mate just keep them healthy as they won't wait for you and will probably take atleast 100 days outside

But yes you can

I'm hoping they'll be finished in 12 weeks, here in NZ, especially in my region, we get a lot of sunny days in summer.  UK's cloudy weather is probably what takes them to 100 days, I'm guessing.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, disco survivor said:

Went to see a GG a couple of months ago. Guy can only get to it once a week so he's put a FloPro solar irrigation system in (cost £50 total). Feeds off a 200 litre barrel (well hidden). Waters every 3 hours. Flow rate increases with full sun (so automatically gives more water during hot, dry periods). Shuts down when the sun goes in so no watering at night. Apart from that, usual protection around the base of the plants and he uses slow release fertiliser pellets. Apart from some bud rot, the auto plants looked very healthy. Think he's had the spot for 6 years and used the FloPro for the last 2 years (he lost a couple of grows in the past due to drought). 

I see, got to keep em well watered.  Photoperiods I've grown I don't water em at all and they soldier through it.

10 hours ago, MindSoup said:

How much work depends entirely on you plot, if you can find somewhere with really good soil and a water source nearby it can make things a lot easier. 

I wouldn't recommend auto's for a beginner, they're much harder to get a good crop from than photos, especially outdoors. With autos you've only got about 3 weeks before they start to flower so if you don't get everything just right in that time they can end up stunted and tiny, like 3g a plant tiny. 

Thanks for heads up, I'll try to get everything dialed in for those first three weeks.

57 minutes ago, OldFord said:

My autos got ZERO love or attention this year ,  in pots in the wettest season we have had in a while and i did ok :yep:    

What strain did you grow?

57 minutes ago, OldFord said:

Run autos / fems and even fasts  ... spread the gamble and try level the odds a bit.

Yeah my main crop are photos, but I'm going to run a few autos to get an early harvest in.