Anyone tried growing Skunk #1 outdoors?

childofmelee

Skunk #1 was originally breed for indoors as I understand it, but I was wondering if anyone has tried growing it outdoors?

If its the real deal old school gear ? Yes you can but you might to do light dep on it. Skunk no 1 was absolute stinker with a weird burst plastic smell. I would love to see that being grown again

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You could try Super#61 by Real Gorilla Seeds.

They're cross between Serious 6 and Skunk#1.

Heavy yielders and mould resistant.

large.652ee85f06adc_IMG_20231017_185226(1).jpglarge.IMG_20230927_195735.jpglarge.64ecd4b3a5760_IMG_20230827_175214_531(1).jpglarge.64ecd4b130354_IMG_20230827_175216_870(1).jpglarge.64ecd4b64e3ab_IMG_20230827_173849_462(1).jpg

• Like 13

@Crow River What's your experience with clones outdoors mate? I tried it once but didn't do so well. Obviously it could have been a load of other things that caused it but just curious if you've done clones before and if they reacted differently outdoors than to seeds.

• Like 1

@Underdog, the only real difference I've noticed is they're slightly more prone to being uprooted by a strong gust of wind. Because they don't have a tap root like the plants grown direct from seed. Otherwise they are fine, and you can always stake them to strengthen them against the breeze.

If you want consistency from a strain, clones are the way to go IMHO. Also saves money if you're buying seeds. Good way to get numbers up without having to wet so many beans. Once the clones are rooted, just veg them the same amount of time as you would a plant from seed.

The strains I grew as clones this season: Joshua, Frisian Duck, Triton Biscotto Lime and Super Kush. Planted three beans (one from each strain) early in the year, and used a cut from a TBL indoor grow too. Kept mums indoors and took clones. Joshua is a semi-auto so some clones started to flower after a certain amount of time. Went a bit crazy cloning Super Kush because it's very vigorous and clones easily. Twelve SK clones went outside, still got a couple by the window which I'm going to use for crosses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

Whats the finished product like on the super kush mate?

Now you're asking! I cannot answer that as I haven't done a test vape yet. I do have some SK buds pulled apart after making seeds indoors, so they'll be the first in the vape. Won't have had a proper cure, and maybe less potent because pollinated. So might not be representative. As for the outdoor Super Kush, the first harvest's not dry yet so will be a while before I vape any.

Super Kush is a very late flowering strain, would be better grown a bit further south than my location. But it's pretty tough, so far have not had mould or rot issues, and still ten clones outside. It is quite a smelly strain, very noticeable indoors, but not really a problem outdoors. Yield looks to be decent from the two girls I planted out in June, they got quite big. To give you an idea how tough it is:

This is the Super Kush mum a few weeks after planting out. Bear in mind this lady was germinated just after Xmas, so was 7 months old when transplanted from indoors. Most of that time she was in a 2 litre pot and cuts were being taken every few weeks...

large.IMG_20230724_205506.jpeg

This was her a few days ago, she's still out.

large.IMG_20231028_160759.jpeglarge.IMG_20231028_160823.jpeg

• Like 5

The biggest yield per plant I have ever grown was clones five clones five pounds Heavy Duty Fruity from THseeds but I don't think it's the same anymore 

• Like 3

@Underdog, I had a vape of the pollinated Super Kush bud tonight. Well, it's pretty strong, speaking subjectively of course. Maybe smoking is different, I don't know because I stopped 20 odd years ago... But yeah, goes well with a glass of brandy.

• Like 4

A mate of mine put one in a 8x6 glass greenhouse in about 1999 and had to remove most of the glass. I think it nearly pulled the metal frame from the ground. Looked like it was going to yield about 20 Oz, then got serious bud rot.  This was at altitude in the Pennines and I imagine he'd have got a lot of rain up there.  

• Like 3

On 02/11/2023 at 0:42 AM, Crow River said:

This is the Super Kush mum a few weeks after planting out. Bear in mind this lady was germinated just after Xmas, so was 7 months old when transplanted from indoors. Most of that time she was in a 2 litre pot and cuts were being taken every few weeks...

large.IMG_20230724_205506.jpeg

This was her a few days ago, she's still out.

large.IMG_20231028_160759.jpeglarge.IMG_20231028_160823.jpeg

That's a stunningly impressive rejuvenation...when do you estimate it will be ready?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Billy2Hats said:

That's a stunningly impressive rejuvenation...when do you estimate it will be ready?

Don't know if it will finish properly given how late in the year we are. The top buds were pretty much there last visit, so I took them. There are multiple clones from this girl still out there too...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

On 31/10/2023 at 2:06 AM, Underdog said:

You could try Super#61 by Real Gorilla Seeds.

They're cross between Serious 6 and Skunk#1.

Heavy yielders and mould resistant.

large.652ee85f06adc_IMG_20231017_185226(1).jpglarge.IMG_20230927_195735.jpglarge.64ecd4b3a5760_IMG_20230827_175214_531(1).jpglarge.64ecd4b130354_IMG_20230827_175216_870(1).jpglarge.64ecd4b64e3ab_IMG_20230827_173849_462(1).jpg

Nice plants, I'll definitely look into that strain.  Thanks

• Like 2