Help! I screwed up my dry, need advice

DeltaMelter

Chopped Friday night before that fecking storm was forecast. It was quite cold, too cold in fact and I think that was my first mistake.

The first 3 days of the dry didn't go above 18C - at times it was down to 15C. The humidity in the lung room was relatively low 55% which I though was OK and was giving me 60-62 in the tent.

Extraction set to Max 4 with auto-dialling down for when the RH dropped.

Sounds spot on doesn't it? Well unfortunately its not, I think I have some sort of decomp going on as I didn't dry quick enough.

The worst thing is the weather has now completely flipped, its warm and humid and I can't get the RH below 65% and that's the lung room!

Checking the tent this morning I was hit with a blast of chlorophyll / grass / hay smell. Checked a few tops and there's mould in there - only just, around the stem going brown. Leaves are crispy and some popcorn buds are almost dry. I'm getting a faint crack but the stems are still bendy. This is day 6 drying. Removing a small sample bud it has very little smell, even the sugar leaves which are dry don't seem to have anything to them.

Also the larger buds are not anywhere near dry and seem to have a sweet sugary smell to some of them.

I'm at my wit's end here and really don't know what to do for the best. At the moment the tent is actually wide open so I can run the extraction on high and the dehumidifier in the next room to try and get the RH down but its not great - and there's almost no smell! If I zip the tent up the RH is up at 70% no matter what. On Tuesday it was 56% RH and humming along nicely :wallbash:.

Fucking gutted.

Any advice or ideas most welcome, I don't know if I should just keep going with it and rag them till they are dry with the dehumidifier then just turn them to oil or try to rescue some smokable buds.                         

You may have ruined it for vaping and smoking, but it's all still there for consuming. The subtleties of the smelly elements don't matter when decarbed.

• Like 2

Turn hps in room outside of tent so bud stays in dark but keep tent open? See if rh starts to drop

You wet or dry trim?

Edited by Herbal Kint

It's the max extraction causing you the fast dry problems (hay smell etc)....obviously drying at less than 18c is not ideal..... 

(Air rushing past the buds)

It took three/four bloody weeks this summer just to get them any where near a point I could Boveda the sods

Take the extraction down to fuck all......let the dehumidifier do its job :yep: a circulation fan set to come on for a minute once an hour has helped me in the past 

• Like 2

Thanks @Herbal Kint & @zen-ken

I thing I have stabilized things. The temps are much lower today which has helped, dehumidifier on the landing next to the lung room, extraction on 1 out of 10 - so really low, barely neg pressure. Lung room is 58% now and the tent is 60% 19C so that's better.

Still lost a lot of terps.

• Like 1

Lesson learned on relying on automation and fan speeds, should have just set it on low manually and let the dehumidifier add heat and remove the water.

The mrs doesn't like me leaving the dehumidifier on overnight so that was my initial problem.

• Like 1

sorry to here m8 , me as well , i think my prob was osolating fan was on no 2 speed , and they got wind burn , ( if you can call it that )  i tried to start temps at 18c

all well for the first 2 days , then i think the ink bird stat fuck up !! then i fucked up put the fan speed up , then he temp went down to 12c . ther is very lttle smell

looks like the trichomes are reduced , by 70% ..  just been up to to open up the container , there is a stong'er smell today , anyway its all goin in the brew for RSO ,

when the weather improve's    ie ,,every day is a school day  , G 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DeltaMelter said:

Lesson learned on relying on automation and fan speeds, should have just set it on low manually and let the dehumidifier add heat and remove the water.

The mrs doesn't like me leaving the dehumidifier on overnight so that was my initial problem.

Should have leave it on timer to pop on every hour , 28c outside 32 in my growroom,end of October, insane weather.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Should have leave it on timer to pop on every hour , 28c outside 32 in my growroom,end of October, insane weather.

Yup just like @geogeo too I think its wind burn. Feel your pain man, I use this for meds so it's literally painful too but at least I can make cannabutter with it.

I thought giving a max speed of 3 would be fine as its not too much of a draft but obviously the fan got carried away and stayed on 3 overnight  - it only took one night to trash the lot.

• Like 2

@DeltaMelter just wondering for the next run one off the moisture meter to probe the buds , i suppose the best way was the carboard box gently air flow in an out ,:fart:l

an check every day ,  after a hard days work u have to push yer self to look after your fruits ,, :unsure: one good thing i dont need to burp them every day

Edited by geogeo