Making the leap - Auto to Photo

Hashslag

So. I'm thinking about where to go with my next grow. I've only run autos up to this point, and I'm still very much a novice, but I'm getting more and more feelings edging me towards trying out photos. I run a very small indoor cab, room for one plant only really so regular seeds aren't really viable, I'd need fems but that's not a problem. My question I suppose is regarding plant size. Can I, in theory, flip light schedules to 12/12 at an early stage to keep the size of the plant in check? Is that basically how it works? @MindSoup I'm looking at you here mate, I'm sure you ran photos in your little cabinet, didn't you?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hashslag said:

My question I suppose is regarding plant size. Can I, in theory, flip light schedules to 12/12 at an early stage to keep the size of the plant in check?

Yep. You can flip them at any point although you’ll obviously get better results with a decent veg first.

• Like 3

I was in same situation about 7 years ago, similar space restraints. go for it! Veg her well, you can always trim her up top if she gets a bit big, but a good veg and root system will deliver a bigger and a better end product. You'll never look back.

• Like 4

You can but I wouldn't .....I will explain my thought process

A plant (from seed) doesn't really reach sexual maturity until the six week mark....you can however use this time to 'prep' your girls 

@Military Grade .....Im pretty sure you posted a picture of a plant yesterday with what about to say......manifolding 

(sorry if wasn't you bro.....my memory is shocking atm)

Manifold that bitch, break her atypical dominance completely......some good videos on YouTube and Im sure someone has a great example to show you 

:yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 4

Thanks gents - @zen-ken I would of course be training the plant to help spread it out and low, before thinking about flipping. I'll look up manifolding to see what that means lol 

• Like 1

I don't think manifolding will be suitable for my cab - you need to allow the plant o get to at least 2ft tall, and my cab would be a tad too small for that I reckon (unless I wanted the flowers to be hitting the lights). Maybe topping would work better for me.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Can I, in theory, flip light schedules to 12/12 at an early stage to keep the size of the plant in check?

Absolutely. I would argue that photo's are a better idea in small spaces because you have more control over the final size and they take to topping a lot better than auto's tend to. 

Check out my first diary for an example. 

Also have a look through @Mullets diaries, he's had some really good grows in his wee cabinet. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4