Long term storage?

David Attenborough

The sales blurb said 'short and stumpy' , In the cannabis world that means what it means I assume, In my world that equates to 'holy jesus, thats much bigger than I expected'.

So I think I need to look at long term storage because it will take me a while to get through this.

The idea was grow a full tent then I wont have to do it for a good while. Its now looking like grow a full tent and never have to grow again.

So I have to think ahead now to storage, it needs to be smell proof, cant put it in the fridge or freezer , one box if I can (I dont want loads of jars around the place) or I suppose jars in a box.

How does it keep long term? long term as in quite possibly being years?

Well-sealing Kilner jars work for me - I have some Sweet Afghani Delicious,  White Widow CBD and Blue Mystic in jars for over a year;  in fact the S.A.D. is stored for 3 years and still smokes nicely. The buds will probably deteriorate eventually,  but for now the Kilners are working fine. 

• Like 2

All goes to plan I'll be saddled with so much flower as to have to skip glass jars for storage because of their weight. As such the long-term move is to use jars for curing only and experiment with vacuum sealing thereafter for long-term keeping in varying conditions. Idea being to make the buds immune to changes in year-on temperatures so that it doesn't matter that much whether they're in a "cool, dry place" or not as long as it doesn't go much past 35°C in the summer, while costing just some squishing and maybe a faint food-prep grade of plastic odor.

It'll be a process but all goes to plan in the end I'll have proper (if ultimately boring) smoke for years upon years.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sweetsmoke420 said:

Well-sealing Kilner jars work for me

+1

Keep them about 3/4 full and in a cool dark place. I've kept weed for over 18mths this way.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Make your long-term stores into oil tincture and it’ll last for several years in the freezer.  The flowers soon disappear once you start extracting. :chef:

• Like 2

Vacuum sealer machines are cheap, I had to buy a new one recently and it's got a pulse function which is handy. I think it was under £30 and when came with a load of precut bags. 

I've got weed that's years old and it still vapes ok, although I prefer it fresher. If you smoke it don't really matter though. 

If you like edibles then oils last for years and it's a great way of storing it in terms of space too. Tincture is another option although if you do that you'd want to factor in a bit of money for one of the herb infusers on the market. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, chopping soon so once its hanging up to dry I should have a better idea of whats what, I will cure in jars then see if I need to decant into something else.

How about vac-sealing in bbags, then put the bags in those silver gas-tight bags. The vaccing will remove the air and the silver bag will block the light and make it gas-tight over the long-term. You could then bury it at about 3ft, where the temps are more stable all year round. Temperature stability is key to successful long-term storage, I think.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

It's 5c outside at the moment and 96% humidity. Just glanced a my weather station and the underground store is 9.5c and 51% humidity. This houses glass jars and vac bags and stays between about 7 and 17c all year round no matter what extremes of weather we get. The other good thing about it is that it's fully hidden and not in the house so keeps quantity inside down.  It only really needs accessing once every few months. 

Edited by Clean Green
Info
  • Like 1

What is the best way to Bury,  if it's cured in jars and buried in say a box can the bud in the glass underground not get moisture from the ground temp fluctuations?

Is it safe to bury without bot forming?

Edited by B-real