Thoughts on this first time set-up please.

Lemonaze#

Hello all, hope you're all good and high AF!

So in two or three weeks I'll be starting my first proper grow and just wanted to run the set up I've settled on, by you guys. I've spent some time reading and working out what and how I'd like to grow, and to suit my intentions I put together this list of equipment. Please feel free to put me right if I'm going wrong anywhere or to give some guidance etc......

BudBox Pro 1.2 x 1.2 x 2.0
Adjust-a-wings Avenger medium reflector 70cm x 55cm
600w Omega MH and 600w Lumii HPS
Lumii Digita 600w digital/dimmable ballast
Rhino Pro carbon filter for 6"/150mm duct
Phresh Hyperfan with speed control, for 6" set up
5 metres phonic trap silent acoustic ducting
16ltr Root pouches

I still need to get growing medium in the form of BioBizz light mix and some organic grow and bloom nutes, I'd like to be more in control of the nutrients feed and water etc. I will probably grab 4 more root pouches of maybe 5 to 8 ltr to allow for a couple of re-pots during veg. And apart from that the only things I'd like to get ready on standby are more bulbs incase one pops, and maybe another ballast and fan just incase, don't want to get caught short at any point

My intention is to run the setup with a passive air intake hence buying a better fan than the average, I just hope I've not gone off track with that line of thought. It seems I'll only need about 1.5 to 2metres of the ducting to come from the fan and filter hung inside the tent, coming out of the tent and be held close to an open window in a box room with a blind partially camouflaging the duct end..........maybe haha.

If you guys have any thoughts on this or any tips to offer, please feel free, I welcome any constructive criticism.

• Like 2

Hello, welcome to the site @Lemonaze#

You'll need to buy a contactor, it basically takes the inductive load when the ballast starts up so you don't fuse the contacts in the timer together, which would either end up leaving your light on or off instead of doing what you intended. I think they're about £30. For me I'd stick with the tried and tested bulbs like Phillips or Sunmaster although someone on here might have used the ones you mention so maybe wait for some more feedback there.

If yuu're gorwing normal plants (as in not autos) then a few pots smaller than your final are a good idea so you can pot up and get a good rootball. 16ltrs is quite big btw, I mostly use 10/11ltrs.

Best of luck with it :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KC said:

Hello, welcome to the site @Lemonaze#

You'll need to buy a contactor, it basically takes the inductive load when the ballast starts up so you don't fuse the contacts in the timer together, which would either end up leaving your light on or off instead of doing what you intended. I think they're about £30. 

Thanks for the welcome and feedback too, I wouldn't have known about the contactor had you not mentioned it. So do you mean the separate timer for light schedule or there's a timer in the ballast? 

• Like 1

Are these the sort of contactors I need to be looking at? 

I didn't know how to drop a couple of pics in here, sorry

Edited by lildaveham
Deleted Google link. Please familiarise yourself with the site guidelines.

I have seen ballasts with timers built in but i'd avoid them myself as its just something else to go wrong. I've been using a £4 timer I bought from a petrol station for about 10 years I reckon. 

Yeah the contactors are the right ones, i'd suggest getting one that can take at least 2 lights, then you can plug something in at the same time like a fan blowing at the light which will come on at the same time. 

Oh we're not allowed external links btw a mod will delete it no doubt :)

Edited by KC
Predictive

33 minutes ago, KC said:

I have seen ballasts with timers built in but i'd avoid them myself as its just something else to go wrong. I've been using a £4 timer I bought from a petrol station for about 10 years I reckon. 

Yeah the contactors are the right ones, i'd suggest getting one that can take at least 2 lights, then you can plug something in at the same time like a fan blowing at the light which will come on at the same time. 

Oh we're not allowed external links btw a mod will delete it no doubt :)

Oh shit my bad, I'll take it out now. 

Thanks for the helpful info I appreciate it. I'll order myself a contactor this afternoon, as well as some of the last items I need also. 

My timer is a Lumii 24h heavy duty that works with up to 600w. My ballast is also a Lumii, Digita 600w and has the 600w boost feature, I'm guessing now that I should really buy a timer that can go up to maybe 1kw or more to cope with everything. I'll only ever use one fan on timer to do as you suggested for keeping the heat off the plants, due to running it as passive intake. However, should that ever change and I find I need to run more things off the timer a poxy 600w ain't going to cut it I'm thinking now.

Edited by Lemonaze#

13 hours ago, Lemonaze# said:

I'd like to get ready on standby are more bulbs incase one pops, and maybe another ballast and fan just incase, don't want to get caught short at any point

HPS bulbs don’t go pop unless you hit them, they fade over time 

Ballasts last years, longest I had a digital ballast was 12 years and it was working when I gave it away 

Fans do wear out, so a spare is a good idea 

You need to use some of the kit before you just blindly buy stuff 

Edited by Black Shadow

Just now, Black Shadow said:

HPS bulbs don’t go pop unless you hit them, they fade over time 

Ballasts last years, longest I had a digital ballast was 12 years and it was working when I gave it away 

Fans do wear out, so a spare is a good idea 

You need to use some of the kit before you just blindly buy stuff 

The reason I say that is because I have friends that have had bulbs and ballasts go wrong wether it was their default or it just happened, and I don't want to be left in that position while I'm growing really. The buying of extra gear is only to be prepared and not get caught out, I appreciate I've not started using it yet but logic tells me what I should really buy extra to prepare for anything breaking. A fan definitely as I could even use one for intake if I find passive intake isn't working for me, but of course it's then there should the main one wear out. 

There's a saying "buy cheap, buy twice" well worth considering.

Get the best you can afford bud and then odds of things packing up are less likely.

Be interesting to see what you put together.

Good luck default_thumbsup.gif

:oldtoker:

I'd never recommend using HPS over LED, but that's your call. What are you using for heating? And my Phresh fan was noisy and had a whine at certain speeds compared to the AC Infinity ones. Phresh make better filters thought, certainly better than Rhino. You hand watering in soil or hydro?

• Like 1

You don't need a fancy timer if you use a contactor, I think your tinder might be one that says it can run without a contactor but I wouldn't trust it myself. 

I'd aim the fan over the tops of the plants, just to push heat from the light away. 

I wouldn't worry about duct fans giving up, but always have a spare bulb. I have heard lumi ballasts are a bit shit reliability wise which is why I always suggest coil ones, I had mine 20 years and they still work. I'm am led man now though, they're great but obviously you pay a lot more for them. 

• Like 1

Consider LEDs for the lighting. I've not done the math but you'll save on electric, be able to diagnose your plants and grow better buds. Migro's LEDs are not too pricey and are well respected. I don't have personal experience of them tho. You won't need a contractor either. Also safer, less fire risk. You should have an automatic fire extinguisher if running HP's IMHO.

Edited by Ajimango
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Slippy One said:

I'd never recommend using HPS over LED, but that's your call. What are you using for heating? And my Phresh fan was noisy and had a whine at certain speeds compared to the AC Infinity ones. Phresh make better filters thought, certainly better than Rhino. You hand watering in soil or hydro?

To be honest everything I've ever read and all the different people I've ever spoken to have all been more.in favour of bulbs due to having a better light spectrum. I can't say for sure right now but I do know that LED's have come a long way over the last few years. I have nothing for heat as I assumed the bulbs would generate enough heat. I guess it'll take for me to start growing and see what problems I face to understand exactly what I need. I'll be hand watering in soil yes.

HPS abuser here, they only really die if you are heavy handed when taking the light down or something. 

Most people tend to prefer LED now, but I like my free heating. A paltry 24 off/28 on, makes around just shy of 800w all in  in a 1.2m.

But, most people are moving to LED..atb Anarchycamp