How Do You Customise A Grow Tent Adding A Drawstring Port?

MidgeSmith

I am amazed that this question is not more common, but hey ho. I have a 1200 x 600 tent which is adequate for my personal needs, however, I find myself in need of adding an extra port (or ideally 2) in order to avoid using more extension leads than necessary and to add in a new irrigation option.

I would like to create a couple of ports (cut) in the tent skin at least 2 inch, but 4 inch would be fine. I am imagining them with a re-enforcing ring on each side that connect to each other and a drawstring cone on the inside to keep the port as air and light proof as possible.

The closes I have seen to this are the Secret Jardin propagator kits (which is how I got started) they come with a little fabric cutting blade and rings (which screw together through the cut port), but they are designed for ducts and have no drawstring flange / closure to seal around them.

I only found a couple of similar questions on the web and neither had great answers.  These must surely be available?!

If not, have any of you bright souls got any experience of this or knowledge of something from another discipline that could be repurposed for a grow tent?  I am not confident enough with my handicraft skills to bur materials and make the closures, unless there is an ingenious method that would work without relying too much on my skill level.

Cheers for any suggestions you can give :)

Edited by MidgeSmith

If you google Secret Jardin cable flange, you can buy one with a sock and drawstring attached. Same as the ducting connectors, comes with a cutting blade and bracket to DIY.

• Like 4

Just now, Smokey McBongface said:

If you google Secret Jardin cable flange, you can buy one with a sock and drawstring attached. Same as the ducting connectors, comes with a cutting blade and bracket to DIY.

I must have been using my dimmest eyes!  I was on their site minutes ago and saw the rings they sell, but no sock attachment.

@Smokey McBongface maximum gratitude for that.  makes my life a shit-ton easier :)

• Like 1

Great stuff man. The connectors from SJ really are suberb. I went for the DP60 and thought wow, this is where its at :) a blank canvas to modify and fit any space. Looks so clean :george:

• Like 3

Just now, Smokey McBongface said:

Great stuff man. The connectors from SJ really are suberb. I went for the DP60 and thought wow, this is where its at :) a blank canvas to modify and fit any space. Looks so clean :george:

Yeah that's how I got started again indoors.  I grew a Royal Dwarf and Green-O-Matic in that DP60 from seed to harvest.  As you say, they are a very clever kit design :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 1