First time grower looking for advice

Blitz900

Hi,

I'm looking grow for the first time and would like some advice. Or at least an idea that I'm heading in the right direction.

My wife and I have been smoking for around 10 years and it's becoming increasingly more expensive and even more difficult to actually get any. It's got to the point where it's just become too much of a hassle. Also with it being so expensive we have to use tobacco as well and being in our 30's now we want to stop that altogether. Currently, 1oz per month between us and tobacco it's costing us around £300-400pm. So that's the backstory :D  

We have our own smoking room in an exterior building connected to the house which would be perfect for growing as well.

After a bit of research I believe a small grow tent will be best suited for me as I'm only looking to produce 2-3 planets at one time.

I'm not sure if I can post links here but I was looking at something like this all in one kit from London Grow

It's a Photon LED Board Complete grow kit - 1.5m2. I believe this has everything I need to get started other than the seeds. 

The ROI on this compared to buying monthly is ridiculous so I'm happy to pay £1k to get started. What I want to know, is this a good kit? Is there anything I should be avoiding? Is this overkill?

--

Secondly, as this is my first time growing I want something that will be fairly easy to maintain to start out but still packs a punch. I was thinking Royal Gorilla from Royal Queen Seeds. Is this a good starting point?

I'm sure I will have plenty more questions as I start my diary but for now any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Edited by lildaveham
Removed growshop link
  • Like 2

Hi @Blitz900, welcome to the forum.

I've been out of the loop for quite some time, so can't really comment on current strains nor hardware.

However, I had an indoor grow for over a decade, so can hopefully give you a few pointers. I didn't buy a single gram during that period, and smoked heavily.

I'd start by saying that it isn't hard, really. You'll get a good smoke off your first grow...might not be the best quality, or yield...but will be hugely satisfying.

And with every grow, you will learn and get better and better.

Keep it simple, and plan ahead. A propagation tent, with flouros, is a good investment. Cuttings aren't too hard, and save you a fortune on seed. I'd recommend feminized seeds 'cos messing about with the odd male that pops up is a PITA. Take twice as many cuttings as you need, 'cos you will lose some.

Don't rush things, and don't overfeed. It's a common problem for newbies. Temps and ventilation are key, especially a fresh air feed.

I've used rockwool, coir, and soil, all are good, and folks tend to have their favourites. I found the former the most convenient, especially when clearing out.

Air drying and curing are also important, but you can worry about that further down the line...lol.

Plenty of very knowledgeable, friendly growers on here, and most with more recent experience than I. But when you've learned how to ride a bike, you don't forget !

Very best of luck with your venture, any questions just ask.

Hey @Blitz900

1st thing I will say with that kit is the Ram fan is utter crap, you will end up buying another, I'm talking the small 6" tent fan not the extractor

My experience is, don't buy kits ....

Just because it's a good LED does not mean the rest is ... and the kit is over 1grand for a silenced extractor, and you'll probably want one of them sooner than later.

Hope that helps a little :woot::)

1 hour ago, Blitz900 said:

exterior building

Don't neglect to factor in additional heat sources, even us who grow indoors proper have to throw heat at our plants.

:yinyang:

• Like 3

welcome to the site, and i agree that you should just buy individual bits and get the best you can afford, especially the carbon filter and fan!

• Like 3

Thanks folks! I think a bit more research into the parts sounds very beneficial, instead of buying a kit. Where to start haha...

• Like 1

Welcome to UK420 @Blitz900!

Grow kits can be good but you might get a few things that you wouldn't have bought or things you'd buy differently.

And mostly, if you go to a grow shop they'll put a deal together for you if you buy a 'kit' of your choosing. 

If you're willing to pay for the setup, specify everything yourself and you'll get exactly what you need. Use the kit list as a guide and get what fits you. Kits can be made up of average components to create a price point. You might want extra nice/cheap A, B or C, etc.

Extraction/fresh air is most important - draw in fresh air push out old air. Set up a mother chamber and you'll have clones to put in all the time. Pretty much any seed you grow well will give you great week to get stoned with. Don't need to spend much money. Get some seeds here at UK420 by subscribing for a year!

• Like 1

1.5m2 is pretty big, especially if you only want 2-3 plants. You could grow 4 plants in 1m2 or less. Perhaps you could get a 315w CMH (also known as CDM) in an 80cmx80cm or a 300w LED in a 90x90. https://migrolight.com/blogs/grow-light-reviews/the-best-grow-light-for-a-3-x-3-or-1m-x-1m-grow-tent-2022

I grow in a 60x60cm tent with a 150w LED (or 250w HPS) but it's a bit small really and I would probably go with a 90x90 and either the ViparSpectra or Migro light in the link I gave, if I was starting now.

Edited by Satchitananda
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Blitz900 said:

Royal Gorilla from Royal Queen Seeds

Gorilla glue and it's crosses have a pretty solid rep for being prone to hermi issues. I'd probably steer clear of that genepool until you've got a bit more experience and are less likely to accidentally stress them out. 

I'd recommend you go with something from the site sponsors, Real Gorilla Seeds, Sweet Seeds, Seedstockers or  Paradise. They're all solid breeders you can trust and you'll find because they're popular on here more people will have experience with their strains and can offer better advice, you might even get tips from the breeder themselves. 

I'm a big fan of RGSCa Lemon Drizzle, very vigorous and easy to grow with big yields of delicious lemony goodness, packs a good punch too.  Seedstockers panty punch is another I'd recommend, easy to grow and very powerful. 

• Like 3

I have a 1.5m2 tent with only two plants in it. The plants are in the back half and each one takes up 650mm2 which gives me the front half of the tent to move about in and work on the plants. I like a bit of space to move in and it makes it easier for me to reach into the space I need to to do a bit of plant training.

• Like 1

I've been growing years and every grow is a lesson. My advice is to just get stuck in. You'll learn every grow. You'll be upgrading this n that, swapping controllers, adding heat, heat controllers, fan controllers, drilling 6" holes in walls, dealing with thrips, gnats, ego's, family, and curious or idiotic neighbours, paranoia and over-watering issues along the way.

The growing part is easy, it's the curing bit that'll sort the men from mice. :yep:

• Like 3