curing question, advice

Ahzore bar

So just completed my first grow and plants are coming to the end of their dry. Kept them at 20 degrees and between 50-55 RH. One plant smells amazing and the other a very slight hay smell but think it could have done with another week before harvesting but I didn't have any other space to dry other than the tent, so I cut a little early and the profile hadn't developed as much.

So the question is I trimmed one branch yesterday and put it into a small Mason jar with a humidity sensor and it's been almost 24 hrs and humidity has stayed at 62% in the jar. So do I need to burp the jar? I get the concept of curing but is the burping just to get the rh down to good level in the jar to cure, or do I still need to open the jar to swap the air out inside.

Yes burp jars. Most of us have converted to Grovebags over jars which don't need burping . That drying humidity was a tad low, should've been 50% for the first day or 2 then gradually up the rh to 60%. With temps, it's preferable to be 18C or less. That's why I won't grow in the summer due to poor curing conditions come harvest

Edited by Slippy One

@Slippy OneI have been looking at the Grovebags but didn't know whether they were any good. Might purchase a couple and give it a whirl.

Yes I was aiming for 18 but bloody weather in this country is so unpredictable and it decided to warm up again when it should have been cooling down, unfortunately I don't have any ac.

How often would you recommend to burp jars based on the humidity being around the preferred %?  Until I order some grovebags and they arrive which I guess will take a few days

@Slippy One sorry I'm a little confused.

I thought the purpose of the boveda packs is to maintain ideal humidity in the jar to the correct range? But if the humidity is already in the right range then I presume they are not needed. So if I don't need to burp the jars with the boveda packs in, why do I need to burp without, if the humidity is steady at that range?  If that makes sense.

Just trying to get my head around it.

@Slippy One why do people use the Grove instead of Boveda though?  I use Boveda myself. Until they stop working.. They last quite long though. I wouldn't want my bud sitting anywhere near plastic squashed in a bag. I've never tried the grove bags though so can't really say. Glass jars are classic! 

The common mistake is people thinking burping is to do with moisture levels, if you need to open your jars because your weed is too damp then you ain't dried your weed properly yet. (Completely different problem)

Burping is actually about releasing the build up of co2, the co2 acts like a preserving atmosphere like in food packaging. But we don't want our weed to preserve we want it to cure through the act of decomposition(might be wrong term) and for this we need to oxygen.

You don't need Boveda packs they are counter productive, and Grove bags don't Cure as efficiently as using screw top Mason jars and Burping manually. One thing the Grove bags do have in their favour is they are cheaper than glass jars lol.

To burp you only need to open the jar for 1 second then close it again. Once a day for the first couple of days when the co2 production is higher, then you only really need to do it once a week for the first 7 days after the first couple. After then once a month at most you can easily get away with longer after than point.

@Ahzore bar  It looks like you dried at a slightly to low Humidity for too long mate, you normally want about 55% just for the first 2-3 days to try and prevent mold then raise it to 60% for the rest of the drying.

Some strains/phenos can be more forgiving to poor drying conditions.

That being said, I have had some strains smell a little hayey along the drying process but not turned out to bad after a cure.

• Like 6

I have to disagree saying Grove bags don't Cure as efficiently, I've had more consistent curing using them over the last few seasons compared to jars. It's so good that my jars have been empty and I'm thinking of selling them. 

Anyone want 53 3L Le Parfait jars for £100? I'll donate the cash to the upgrade fund. :yep:

2 hours ago, Military Grade said:

if you need to open your jars because your weed is too damp then you ain't dried your weed properly yet

That's bang on imo

Once they're dry I vacuum pack them, that's the best way to cure for me. I only uses jars to decant the bags so I'm not opening them all the time.

• Like 2

@Military Grade good to know cheers.

A little frustrating also as where I live the rh is roughly 70% every day so I could of easily maintained 60rh with my dehumidifier. live and learn I guess!

On the plus, now I trimmed it all last night no hay smell at all from the plant that had a slight smell of it.

I managed a 10 day dry which I'm pretty happy with for my 1st attempt. Hopefully I'll be able to hit the 2 week mark on my next attempt.

@KC so how do you burp if you vacuum seal after drying to cure?

• Like 1

I have to disagree saying Grove bags don't Cure as efficiently, I've had more consistent curing using them over the last few seasons compared to jars. They're so good, my glass jars have been in storage for the last few years..

I'm a lover of the Grove bags myself now.

Did a side by last last season and to this day there is no difference what so ever..lets say its been 11 months or so and the buds are still nice and spongey.

Cant recommend enough tbh.

Horses for courses and all that jazz :yep:

• Like 2