First Time Grow kit and set-up questions. :)

CBDevious

Weird glitch duplicate. Mod please delete.

Edited by CBDevious

On 12/10/2023 at 9:22 AM, CBDevious said:

Edited by CBDevious
Duplicate

On 08/10/2023 at 10:07 AM, handysmoker said:

@CBDevious

I learnt how important to get the correct light levels on my last grow (1stGrow) .... thanks to @Shumroom :)

I worked with the photone app for a while with some tissue paper over the lens ... come on, that's what I used to call a bodge job, so never really trusted those readings... maybe the reason for a low crop

Bought myself a UNI-T UT383BT (about £20) and paired it up with the PPDF meter App, The BT bit is the Bluetooth which is needed .... the UNI-T measures in Lux and the App converts to PPDF and DLI (it'll measure in FC as well) .... ever since my readings along with light adjustment have been spot on, and my plants look great this time round and there's no stretching.

LEDs are viparspectra P1000 and P600 with dimmers.

:yinyang:

Seriously thanks for this advice.

I got  the Uni-T BT and set the light using the app. 

The lux setting was way too high and I even needed to raise the light a little.

Stupid lux guide. Lol. 

Oh well, glad I got the right kit.

Thank you again. 

Next to sort the humidity and increase the temp properly and efficiently. 

• Like 2

Your temp is better but still a bit cool. I have two tube heaters and tonight I ran them both full on and my temps still only got to 26c. That's with the light dialled down to 100w. Like you say, it should help when I can have it on full blast (this is my first time using the LED so I am learning too). With LED's it's the leaf surface temp that matters and apparently 28c is best...which I think would need an ambient temp of around 30c(!), which is not easy to get to in winter. With an ambient temp of 26c my leaf temp was 25c which is a bit low, but will have to do for now. We all used to use HPS lights which ran hot and gave off IR radiation and leaf temps were easy to get. Keeping things cool was the issue then, the opposite of LED's. So, if I was you I would get another tube heater at the least. I might have to use two more than the two I have now. For now I hope my leaf surface temp of 25 is adequate.

Edited by Satchitananda
  • Like 1

I have sent off for a Uni-T BT too, I want to know if it matches my current Uceri Lux meter and multiplying the Lux by 0.0165. According to Shane (Migro) the Uni-T BT is about 8% higher than his Apogee Par meter, so that might be something to take into account. Also, it will just be cool to have PPFD and DLI on an app rather than having to work it out each time, lol. 

Edited by Satchitananda
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CBDevious said:

Seriously thanks for this advice.

I'm happy that you've got that part of growing sorted.  :woot:

I think temps and RH are individual to each tent .... you'll just have to learn what your tent likes :)

I remember using a fan heater all those years ago ... did the job :yinyang:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satchitananda said:

Apogee Par meter

Seen the price of them ... :huh: .... you can set up another grow with that money.  :ermm:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, handysmoker said:

I'm happy that you've got that part of growing sorted.  :woot:

I think temps and RH are individual to each tent .... you'll just have to learn what your tent likes :)

I remember using a fan heater all those years ago ... did the job :yinyang:

Yea, I thought I had better mention the 28c leaf temp thing cos I have read it a few times on this site...but I don't have much hope of reaching it myself. I think 26c (ambient) will have to do me for now. Also heating cost is a factor.

Edited by Satchitananda
  • Like 1

Thanks again for info.

I bought a inkbird wifi thermostat but it doesn't allow a night day temp schedule.

So I am sending it back and getting a tapo hub to go with the tapo thermometer and humidity sensor.

I took the tube heater back and bought one from Toolstation which has a thermostat. So right now, my temp is sitting at 25.8 on average. 

Thought my sensor is out I think because the fan controller sensor is not kicking the fan in and I have it set for 25. 

Edited by lildaveham
Remove offsite image link
  • Like 1

You need to upload any images you want to post.

You have your own Gallery space to upload to :) 

Once uploaded you can then use the Insert other media button to browse/post your images :yep:

Atb

On 18/10/2023 at 1:09 PM, Shumroom said:

You need to upload any images you want to post.

You have your own Gallery space to upload to :) 

Once uploaded you can then use the Insert other media button to browse/post your images :yep:

Atb

Well, for some reason, I get a -200 error and images never upload.

Even 98kb images don't upload. So god knows what's happening.

Sick of stuff not working. 

The site is going through an upgrade and is a bit glitchy sometimes.

It all works pretty well on my iPad,

but is a pain on my mobile(Android) sometimes so I prefer to use the tablet.

Apparently the best browser to use is Firefox,

as there are conflicts with Chrome and all Chromium based browser.

The upgrade is to try to fix these issues,

but I think they’re still trying to get all the wee settings correct on the new version :) 

Atb