Extracting from bottom

Eldo

Having a little tweak of my small grow area which no doubt will turn into a full rebuild and toying with the idea of extracting from the bottom with fresh air coming in above the light.

I hear this helps raise root temps a few degrees which is obviously useful in winter  but are there be any disadvantages of using this set up?

Tia

15 minutes ago, Eldo said:

but are there be any disadvantages of using this set up?

Just all that floor space taken up, and ideally you'd want to have your tent upside down so the vents are at the top of the tent pulling air in at light level and down, rather than at floor level and being extracted out as soon as it enters. Same goes for any heating, ideally it would have to be hung above the plants so its heat is being drawn down - if you put the heater on the floor, the heat is never reaching the foliage. Furthermore, having an upside down tent is a PITA because none of the vent/cable ports are in the right place.

I would recommend using an inline filter, you can still extract from the top of the space like normal but the actual filter doesn't need to be in the area taking up space. Fans above the LED blowning down also saves floor space, and helps to keep heat + co2 where it needs to be.

• Like 1

@GSZZ cheers mate not using a tent this will be a custom made wooden wardrobe like structure so hole and vent location won't be an issue

Was planning fan and filter on floor extracting out of bottom and false floor above this for pots so also won't be losing and floorspace either

My concern is mainly with the humidity, would it be more humid at the top or bottom.....could I cause low humidity in the drobe and also damage filter by extracting taking humid air from bottom or perhaps even the other way and end up with a humid rot fest

• Like 1

I've been using this extraction method since my last run with LEDs .. worked great. 

I especially like the easy access to the filter for emergencies / or to check the duct & connections. 

Have small fans blowing gently away from the filter. - Good air circulation (turbulence) helps a lot. 

I would choose the inline filter only if space is a major issue because you will lose 1/3 of your airflow.
Which means you will most likely have to run your extraction fan at higher speed.
The placement of the extraction won't change your humidity concerns much.

Edited by Axiom
  • Like 1