Venting through an 8inch Wall Cowel vent. Help

Moonstone420

Hello all.

So I am currently venting into my loft space, but truth be told it fills me with fear in case I get a leak. 

I have a situation where I could vent using a Wall cowl, and I have found a 200mm (8 inch) one, but am worried about the wooshing noise out of the vent as the vent would be in the back garden of a terraced house area with gardens surrounding it.

I will be downsizing to:

1.2 x 1.2 tent.

650W Led

I will probably either downsize my 8 inch fan, or continue to use it but obviously use the fan controller as it wont be needed on full power.

But do you think, lets say a 6 inch high powered RVK going through a 8 inch cowl and ducting would cause a considerable amount of noise out of the end of the vent?   

Google - Thermoduct exterior wall duct 200mm for the type of vent i was thinking of using. 

Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

Hello, my personal opinion would be to stick with the 8 inch slow down the speed. Bigger ducting with less air pressure moving through  would be better. And a belts and braces situation you could use a silencer before it hits the wall duct to remove some of the fan and air noise. 

I'm sure people with more experience will be able to comment 

• Like 1

I'd agree to sticking with your 8" extraction and spend money on a fan controller. 650W LED in a 1.2m tent is about bang on the money.

I currently have a 5" RVK extracting a 1.2m tent and its on full throttle continuously like a fuckin' moped. I intend to upgrade to 6" fan maybe for Xmas. Please Mrs I.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Moonstone420 said:

it fills me with fear in case I get a leak.

I can't see why? Surely you could get a leak with it exiting through the window too, but then it's at a closer level to the street then it would be through the loft. I'd stick with what you're doing myself, how long have you been venting into the loft?

• Like 2

Hate the idea of venting into loft, even in my old battered house. Can just imagine it raining in there when the heat meets the cold and causing all kinds of mould and damp.. not sure how people manage tbh?!

650w LED in a 1.2? Am I missing something here?
Are you guys using CO2 or something? What is the HID, HPS equivalent? 
I thought 450w or so in LED = around 1000w HPS - which is plenty for 1.2m - no?!

I have a 8inch duct running straight outside with no vent... just get some phonic trap and make the ducting a little longer.

Edited by Axiom
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Moonstone420 said:

noise out of the end of the vent?   

I have a 150mm outlet through a vent in the uPVC panel below a window, on full, its not as loud as u think

u should be good. you could have AC for all anybody knows, but I dont think they'll notice bro

mystic

8 hours ago, KC said:

I can't see why? Surely you could get a leak with it exiting through the window too, but then it's at a closer level to the street then it would be through the loft. I'd stick with what you're doing myself, how long have you been venting into the loft?

What do you think about the question posed mate?

Cheers. 

4 hours ago, mysticriver said:

I have a 150mm outlet through a vent in the uPVC panel below a window, on full, its not as loud as u think

u should be good. you could have AC for all anybody knows, but I dont think they'll notice bro

mystic

Cheers for this mate! Very helpful information.

5 hours ago, Axiom said:

Hate the idea of venting into loft, even in my old battered house. Can just imagine it raining in there when the heat meets the cold and causing all kinds of mould and damp.. not sure how people manage tbh?!

Its an extreme sport!!! Balancing the loft temps with condensation and leaks lol

• Like 1

I only use a 6inch rvk and I wouldn't want that venting outside of its on full speed. It's going to be a case of trying it out. Just make sure your max outake is set low when you try it, check out then turn it up if everything is OK. Night time would be the best time for experimenting, not only does sound seen to travel more but there will be less people around. 

Good luck.

18 hours ago, Moonstone420 said:

helpful

yh I should maybe point out my extraction is a silenced phresh v2 hyperfan, fwiw

mystic