Gnats - great learning experience

Axiom

I've held off flowering some infested plants for a little while now. 

I thought the issue was thrips ... and although they were present, I whacked them pretty quickly using spinosad and neem

I reapplied this because I kept seeing little bugs flying around still, so I assumed they must be thrips at different stages of life. 

Turns out to be gnats too

Not sure if anyone knows if gnats fly up to reach the lights level (LEDs)?

anyways.... I seem to have a pretty heavy infestation in the coco. If I look anywhere around there I can see at least a dozen flying around and crawling all over the place. 

Wish I caught it earlier. 

Ive done a lot of research on getting rid of them and don't wanna gamble on drying out the coco, as  I know this can present issues.

The way it happened in the first place was from me reusing old coco and leaving it saturated when washing out the old nutes, in a hot conservatory. 

Next time I will be sure to add high strength h2o2 in that runoff and then wash it through again with a little buffer and maybe some charge.

got some diatomaceous earth + mosquito bits and ready to apply ... looking forward to flowering these as I thoughtI would have to scrap the lot, (much time and effort)

Now I finally know why my leaves have been looking shitty!

Lesson : don't leave wet coco lying around too long, and if you do apply h202 to make sure you don't get fungus growth. hopefully this will mean I can reuse coco again without much worry about scrapping the lot and buying more. I use fabric containers so not too bothered about the coarseness being lost as the roots in these pots are tiny and capillary-like in their nature. 

Hopefully I'll come back to this in the future and post my findings. 

Put a healthy amount of mosquito bits into the soil and push them in or cover them up.

Lots of sticky traps around the rim of the pot and hanging about the place.

Then give it some time to work.

The bits kill the larvae, the traps catch and kill the adults.

Good luck

• Like 1

I use little bags designed for use as wedding favours,

to put a couple of teaspoons of Mosquito Bits into a bucket of water for 10 minutes, 

then I add my nutrients as normal. 

Combine this with sticky traps in the tent and lung room. 

It might take a week or so to get on top of the infestation. 

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Thanks.

I did look on the UK site and didn't see it listed which confused me a bit.

I see there's an Australian company too.

• Like 1